- CLASS DESCRIPTION
Located near the east shore of the San Francisco Bay, the City of El Cerrito is an ethnically diverse community offering a high quality of life within one of the nation’s most sophisticated and beautiful living areas. With a population of almost 24,000 residents, El Cerrito has the advantage of being centrally located in a major metropolitan area. El Cerrito is an established community with a strong self-identity and a commitment to enhancing the quality of life for its citizens.THE DEPARTMENT AND POSITION
The Recreation Department provides a full range of recreational and educational activities for youth and adults, facility rentals, community events, and diverse programs and services to enhance quality of life in El Cerrito.
Under direct supervision performs general lifeguard functions at a City aquatic facility. These positions provide assistance to patrons of the City of El Cerrito pool by providing services including swim lessons, lap swim, and recreational swim. These positions are seasonal and assigned up to 20-25 hours per week (not to exceed 1,000 hours annually), which include evenings and weekends. Candidates must be available to work June through August 2017. Seasonal positions may be extended through October as needed.
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (DUTIES)
- Duties and Responsibilities:
Typical job duties are:
- Ensuring patron safety during lap and recreational swim, including clearly and professionally conveying rules to patrons and enforcing facility regulations;
- Administering first aid and providing emergency care as required, maintaining a safe aquatic environment and facility;
- Providing instruction in the Learn-to-Swim program;
- Assisting senior staff and supervisors as directed;
- Cordially assisting the public who have questions and inquiries;
- Assisting with cleaning and routine maintenance of the aquatic facility, including locker rooms, guard office, pool surfaces, and other facility-related duties as assigned; and
- Presenting and maintaining a professional appearance and demeanor, including wearing appropriate uniform or attire for the position and exhibiting respect and enthusiasm as duties and responsibilities are carried out.
- Experience and Education:
Lifeguard: 15 years of age or older. Current certification in American Red Cross Lifeguard Training, first aid and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer. Title 22: First Aid for Public Safety Personnel a plus. Prior experience working with children and the public desired.Licenses/Certificates
- Current American Red Cross certifications in Lifeguard Training, First Aid, CPR/AED for Lifeguards.
- Possession of Title 22: First Aid for Public Safety Personnel, and Water Safety Instructor, or other related certifications are highly desired.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to conduct one’s self in a professional manner;
- Knowledge of philosophy, objectives and requirements in the implementation of municipal aquatics programs;
- Knowledge and command of all of the latest safety standards and information related to aquatics;
- Ability to function effectively under direct supervision and develop effective working relationships with fellow City Employees and the public;
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing;
- Ability to receive direction and to follow oral and written instructions;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks;
- Professional work habits including reliability, dependability, creativity and demonstration of enthusiasm;
- Aquatic physical fitness including ability to swim, tread water, perform rescues involving the exertion of up to 100 pounds of force to move objects, and to perform retrieval of heavy items from 12′ depth; ability to sit and/or stand for long periods of time; ability to work outdoors in varying weather conditions and with exposure to pool chemicals; vision to read written materials and computer screens, and hearing and speech to communicate in person; and other physical parameters established by facility supervisors; and
- Ability to work varying shifts, including evenings, weekdays and weekends.
- OTHER REQUIREMENTS
- Additional Requirements:
- Work permit is required if under age 18
- Appropriate clearance from background check/finger printing if 18 or older
- Proof of eligibility to work in the United States