Full Time Aquatics Coordinator – Denver Parks and Recreation
This posting will remain open until all positions are filled and may close at any time. Those interested in applying for this position are encouraged to submit an application as soon as possible.
To be considered for this position, you must include the following with your job application (upload the attachment(s) to the Resume/CV section on the My Experience tab):
- Copy of current Lifeguard Training certification
With a staff of over 400 lifeguards across 15 indoor and 16 outdoor swimming pools, it takes a team of dedicated, diverse, knowledgeable, and enthusiastic individuals to ensure the highest-quality aquatic programs, safety, and customer service are being delivered to communities across Denver. Denver Parks and Recreation is currently seeking multiple adept and accomplished recreation professionals to join this team as Aquatics Coordinators across a diverse network of facilities.
In this position, you will create, coordinate, and plan a variety of aquatic programs, classes, and activities while managing the day-to-day operations of a municipal pool. This position will also support additional recreation facility operations as needed. This is a great opportunity to work for a large and diverse aquatics program while serving the community and engaging in professional growth opportunities.
Job responsibilities of an Aquatics Coordinator include:
- Creating, implementing, and leading aquatics programs, including swimming lessons and special events
- Assisting with the recruitment, hiring, training, supervising, and coaching of on-call staff members including Lifeguards and Swim Lesson Instructors
- Overseeing aquatics staff scheduling at their assigned facility
- Evaluating the success of programs and providing feedback to the Aquatics Core team
- Conducting regular staff training on emergency procedures
- Delivering equitable, professional, and prompt customer service to community members and facility users
- Creating and fostering partnerships with community leaders, neighborhood organizations, local schools, and other community partners to design programs that fit their unique needs
- Attending regular team meetings and collaborating with other Aquatics Coordinators, Recreation Supervisors, and other city agencies
- Attending community events and serving as a Denver Parks and Recreation ambassador to the community
- Performing basic regular maintenance and repair of pool equipment in partnership with Pool Maintenance Technicians
- Performing other related duties as assigned or requested
We are looking for dedicated and passionate aquatics professionals who can function effectively on a team in a fast-paced environment. Our ideal candidate will have excellent customer service and communication skills with an eye for innovation, efficiency, and safety.
Additionally, our ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Experience performing lead work/supervisory duties over aquatics staff
- Experience scheduling and staffing pools, including knowledge of successful lifeguard recruitment strategies
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including experience working with and mentoring youth
- Experience engaging communities in aquatics programming and implementing new programming based on community feedback
- The ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor (LGI) and Water Safety Instructor (WSI) certifications
- Certified Pool Operator (CPO) and/or Aquatic Facility Operator (AFO) certifications
We realize your time is valuable, so please do not apply if you do not have at least the following required minimum qualifications:
- Education: Graduation from high school or the possession of a GED, HiSET or TASC certificate
- Experience: Three (3) years of work experience instructing in an organized aquatic program involving the monitoring of pool equipment, pool chemicals and pool operations
- Requires a Lifeguard Training Certification, CPR and AED Certifications for Professional Rescuers, and First Aid Certification at the time of application.
- Requires a Lifeguard Instructor Certification, First Aid Instructor Certification, and a Certified Pool Operator or Aquatic Facility Operator Certification prior to completion of the probationary period.
- Licensure and certification must be kept current as a condition of employment.
- Equivalency: Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirements
Position Salary Range
$23.00 – $34.50
$23.01 – $28.19/hour, based on experience