Full Time Aquatics Coordinator (West Side YMCA)
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The West Side YMCA is seeking a qualified individual who will assist in providing direction and leadership to the Aquatics Department by providing quality member service and member satisfaction, implementing mission, vision and values in the areas of staffing, volunteers, aquatics and member retention.
- Assist the Director with recruiting, hiring, training, and evaluating all aquatic staff and volunteers.
- Assist the Director with planning, scheduling, supervising and evaluating the recreational and instructional aquatics programs for youth and adults.
- Assist with developing, implementing, tracking and controlling the department budget, in accordance with Branch and Association Guidelines.
- Assist with scheduling, maintenance, and repair of Aquatics Department facilities/equipment, in partnership with the Buildings Department.
- Adhere to Association Aquatic Safety Standards and Guidelines.
- Teach swim lessons and fill in Lifeguard shifts, when necessary.
- Know and understand the Emergency Action Plan and Emergency Evacuation Routes of the facility.
- Follow YMCA Lifeguard Rescue Ready and YMCA Swim Instructor Ready protocols.
- Maintain positive relationships with class participants, parents, non-class members and staff.
- Serve as a role model, to promote and demonstrate a professional demeanor to other aquatics staff.
- Maintain certifications required for position.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- Associate’s degree in Physical Education, Exercise Science or related area.
- Minimum of two years’ experience supervising lifeguards and instructors, and managing a pool facility.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Current First Aid/CPRO/Emergency Oxygen certification.
- CPR/AEO certifications must be within first year of validity
- Current YMCA Lifeguard / Swim Lesson Instructor certifications.
- YMCA or Red Cross Lifeguard certification and YSL (YMCA Swim Lessons Instructor or WSI (Water Safety Instructor) certification.
- YMCA Swim Lesson or other certification.
- Demonstrate swim strokes, lifeguard rescues and CPRO/FA/EO skills.
- Maintain certification level of physical and mental readiness.
- Knowledge of safe practices and procedures, as they pertain to pool operations, supervisory concepts and techniques, and customer service practices and principles.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word; AS400 database is a plus.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills.
- Must be available to work flexible hours, including weekends and holidays.