Full Time Aquatics Director
Interested in career growth? The YMCA of Metro North is one of the most progressive YMCA’s in America! Come join our team!
Melrose Family YMCA
Melrose, MA 02176-3816
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Aquatics Director at the Melrose YMCA intentionally fosters a cause-centered culture that is welcoming, genuine, hopeful, nurturing, and determined.
Under the supervision of the Senior Program Director, this position is responsible for the supervision and management of all facets of the Aquatics Department at the Melrose Branch in Melrose, Massachusetts.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
· At least 21 years of age, with YMCA, Red Cross, Ellis, Starguard or Boyscouts Lifeguarding certification. If not Red Cross certified, the employee must cross over to the Red Cross certification within six months of hire.
· At least three years of experience in instruction and management of a wide variety of Aquatics programs and pool maintenance.
· Experience supervising staff and developing pool schedules and class schedules, as well as good member relation and staff relation skills.
· Must be aware of YMCA movement and trends in the aquatic field and must continue to enhance his/her knowledge in YMCA Aquatic Management and certifications.
· Physically and verbally able to interact with members and staff.
· At times, be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
1. Develop, implement, and oversee aquatic programs such as, but not limited to Lifeguarding, CPR classes, Water Fitness, Parent & Child, Preschool, Youth, Private, and Adult Lessons; Family Swim Programs; all Rentals and Pool Parties; and Precompetitive Swim Programs that reflect community needs and maintain the YMCA’s high standards of quality, safety, and caring.
2. Ensure that pools meet all health and safety standards including a clean environment, appropriate air and water temperature, chemical balance, and timely pool water testing and backwashing. Secure pool facilities when not in use. Advise supervisor of safety and repair needs and concerns immediately.
3. Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate all paid and volunteer instructors and lifeguards as programs dictate and budget guidelines allow.Ensure that all staff have appropriate and updated certifications on file.
4. Supervise and support assistant director/coordinator and provide support to swim team.
5. Be an active participant of the Association Aquatics Team. Follow all Aquatics Quality and Safety guidelines consistently.
6. Complete all required safety and quality documentation and drills on required timelines.
7. Provide leadership and support in the development and implementation of the building EAP and safety, including staff training in CPR, First Aid, and Emergency Oxygen.
8. Prepare payroll reports for Executive Director and Association office.
9. Monitor program registrations and participant records and certifications.
10. Maintain a professional image and manner consistent with the YMCA mission and goals.
11. Attend all staff functions, including annual All-Staff Conference, monthly Aquatics Leadership Meetings, and Quarterly Leadership Meetings.
12. Participate in Staff Meetings, Board of Advisor Meetings, and professional training as appropriate.
13. Engage in active listening with members in order to build relationships, understand each individual’s goals and interests and take the initiative to assist in the achievement of those goals.
14. Assist in other program areas as needed and as time permits, keeping in mind that Aquatics is still the primary area of responsibility.
15. All other duties as assigned or needed.
Cause-Driven Leadership® Competencies
Mission Advancement: Reinforces the Y’s values within the organization and the community. Effectively communicates the benefits and impact of the YMCA’s efforts for all stakeholders. Implements effective systems to develop volunteers at program, fundraising, and policy leadership levels. Secures resources and support for all philanthropic endeavors.
Collaboration: Develops strategies to ensure staff and volunteers reflect the community. Builds and nurtures strategic relationships to enhance support for the YMCA. Serves as a community leader building collaborations based on trust and credibility to advance YMCA mission and goals. Communicates for influence to attain buy-in and support of goals. Provides tools and resources for the development of others.
Operational Effectiveness: Integrates multiple thinking processes to make decisions. Involves members and community in the development of programs and activities. Ensures execution of plans. Assigns clear accountability and ensures continuous improvement.
Personal Growth: Fosters a learning environment embracing diverse abilities and approaches. Creates a sense of urgency and positive tension to support change. Anticipates challenges that can sidetrack or derail growth and personal learning. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
$50,000.00 – $54,000.00