Full Time Aquatics Director
The Metro North Y is one of the fastest growing and most progressive YMCA’s on the East Coast. Interested in career growth, join our Team!
Great Pay! $55,000 -$65,000!
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Aquatics Director at the Torigian YMCA intentionally fosters a cause-centered culture that is welcoming, genuine, hopeful, nurturing, and determined.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, this position is responsible for the supervision and management of all facets of the Aquatics Department at the Torigian Branch in Peabody, Massachusetts.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES/PRINCIPLE ACTIVITIES:
- Develop, implement, and oversee aquatic programs such as, but not limited to Lifeguarding; Parent & Child, Preschool, Youth, Private, and Adult Lessons; Family Swim Programs; all Rentals and Pool Parties; and Competitive and Precompetitive Swim Programs that reflect community needs and maintain the YMCA’s high standards of quality, safety, and caring.
- Ensure that pools meet all health and safety standards including a clean environment, appropriate air and water temperature, chemical balance, and timely pool water testing and backwashing. Secure pool facilities when not in use. Advise supervisor of safety and repair needs and concerns immediately.
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate all paid and volunteer instructors and lifeguards as programs dictate and budget guidelines allow. Ensure that all staff have appropriate and updated certifications on file.
- Be an active participant of the Association Aquatics Team. Follow all Aquatics Quality and Safety guidelines consistently.
- Complete all required safety and quality documentation and drills on required timelines.
- Provide leadership and support in the development and implementation of the building EAP and safety, including staff training in CPR, First Aid, and Emergency Oxygen.
- Prepare payroll reports for Executive Director and Association office.
- Monitor program registrations and participant records and certifications.
- Maintain a professional image and manner consistent with the YMCA mission and goals.
- Attend all staff functions, including annual All-Staff Conference, monthly Aquatics Leadership Meetings, and Quarterly Leadership Meetings.
- Participate in Staff Meetings, Board of Advisor Meetings, and professional training as appropriate.
- Engage in active listening with members in order to build relationships, understand each individual’s goals and interests and take the initiative to assist in the achievement of those goals.
- Assist in other program areas as needed and as time permits, keeping in mind that Aquatics is still the primary area of responsibility.
- All other duties as assigned or needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
- At least 21 years of age, with YMCA Lifeguarding certification. If Red Cross certified, the employee must cross over to YMCA certification within six months of hire.
- At least three years of experience in instruction and management of a wide variety of Aquatics programs and pool maintenance.
- Experience supervising staff and developing pool schedules and class schedules, as well as good member relation and staff relation skills.
- Must be aware of YMCA movement and trends in the aquatic field and must continue to enhance his/her knowledge in YMCA Aquatic Management and certifications.
- Physically and verbally able to interact with members and staff.
- At times, be able to lift up to 50 lbs.