Full Time Aquatics Director
About the YMCA
The Y is filled with passionate leaders, thinkers and doers. Whether a camp counselor, program director or fitness instructor, we all share a common goal to serve and make our community healthier, happier and stronger.
We look for people who will show up as their whole self because we value diversity and inclusion, as well as people who enjoy working on a team and with the public. If you can see yourself at the Y, please read on!
- Free membership!
- Plenty of paid time off for life, vacations, staycations, and rest.
- YMCA-subsidized medical, dental, and vision, plus YMCA-funded HRA.
- Generous program discounts.
- Meaningful assistance programs like mentoring and retirement (403(b) and Y Retirement).
- Training and certification opportunities.
About this Role
Under the direction of the Executive, the Aquatics Director oversees their program in alignment with, and support of, the YMCA of Southern Maine’s priorities, protocols, and values. This includes overseeing operations associated with the pools and natatorium(s) and maintaining a safe pool environment; supervising aquatics staff, including lifeguards and swim instructors; and overseeing swim lessons, swim team, exercise classes and more. The Aquatics Director provides multi-faceted leadership at the YMCA, including aquatics, youth development, fundraising, and member service.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Staffing Oversight – Hire, train, coach, schedule, review, and hold accountable staff to maintain high morale and provide excellent service. This includes the Y’s Accountability Pledge, personnel policy, protocols, and safety standards for staff, facilities, and program participants/members.
- Inclusion – Honor the YMCA of Southern Maine’s Promise Statement. Models a commitment to equity and inclusion. Creates a safe environment that helps all feel welcome and respected. Promotes feelings of mutual respect, acceptance, and appreciation. Supports people with unique experiences or points of view to share their perspectives.
- Staffing Administration – Ensure accurate timecards, consistent documentation, and maintenance of training records, licensing requirements, and certifications.
- Leadership – Is a collaborative, engaged, and active participant on the Association Leadership team, including communicating in an effective and timely manner and making sound decisions. This includes, but is not limited to, actively supporting the annual campaign, fundraising, special events, Association initiatives and program teams.
- Programming – Plan, develop, implement, provide, and maintain high quality programming in accordance with Association protocols and priorities and licensing guidelines, and in adherence with all Y Brand guidelines.
- Relationship Building – Develop positive relationships that lead to greater awareness of the Y’s mission and impact, growth in number of people served, as well as revenue.
- Personal Growth – Maintains a high degree of emotional maturity and interpersonal skills and is committed to personal growth and skill acquisition.
- Data Collection – Maintain accurate and consistent data tracking as required.
- Budgeting – Implement and accurately maintain a program budget and forecast in alignment with Association goals, priorities, and resources.
- Perform other duties as assigned
We’re looking for someone:
- Three to five years of supervisory experience, required.
- Certifications including:
- Current YMCA on the Guard II or Red Cross Lifeguard Certification.
- Automatic External Defibrillator and Oxygen (O2) training.
- Swim Lesson Instructor experience required; YMCA V6 Swim Lessons and/or Water Safety Instructor Certification preferred.
- Certified Lifeguard Instructor Trainer, preferred
- Maintain certification or re-certification by taking Continuing Education Credits.
- Superior communication skills and an ability to express ideas clearly and effectively, in writing and verbally, in a group or one-on-one situation. Demonstrated ability to communicate with non-English speakers. Ability to speak languages other than English preferred.
- Ability to learn new software systems quickly, excellent computer skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and the ability to travel locally.
- A criminal background check is required and may include fingerprinting through the Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS), prior to hire. This will be paid for by the YMCA of Southern Maine.
- The ideal candidate must be able to complete all physical requirements of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
$55,000 – $60,000, depending on experience.
We invite you to join us in this amazing work — to develop your skills, to realize your potential and to discover a career that is so much more than a job.
Where permitted by applicable law, candidates must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccine by date of hire to be considered. The YMCA will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified employees with a valid medical exemption or for a sincerely held religious belief.
A Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
We commit to inclusion in our mission and in our hiring practices by promising to make the Y open to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, or financial circumstances, without discrimination.