Full Time Aquatics Director
As an Aquatic Director, you will help GSCYMCA achieve its goals to ensure our aquatics programs are safe, filled with program participants, and meet the needs of our community. You will be responsible for direct service in the pool teaching swim lessons, training and development of the staff team, and growth and development of new aquatic programs while helping to promote the work as a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
Who You Would Report to · Branch Associate Executive Director
Expected Hours Per Week · Full-time exempt · 40.00 hours minimum weekly · Flexible hours between 6:30 AM – 6:00 PM
Under the direction of the Branch Executive Director, the Aquatics Director is responsible for the management and operation of the Hillsborough YMCA’s aquatics programs; pool and lifeguard schedules, Red Cross certifications, YMCA swim lessons, water aerobics, etc. This position assists in the development and oversight of the budget. This position recruits, trains, and develops aquatics staff. This position oversees program operations at the Hillsborough YMCA and any offsite programming related to aquatics. This position ensures proper care and use of assets, that the pool is maintained, records are accurate, quality checks are conducted regularly, and all class schedules are comprehensive enough to serve the majority of the membership. This position successfully promotes and markets programs, special initiatives and events; follows and enforces safety standards and other policies and procedures; participates as member of the Leadership Team and the YMCA Annual Campaign.
This is a “non-traditional” work week position and must also be available to work occasional weekends, early mornings, and evenings.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS – PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES
- Monitors daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local and YMCA health and safety regulations.
- Conducts and ensures proper maintenance of pools. Secures and schedules pool facilities.
- Conducts lifeguarding, swim instruction, First Aid and CPR trainings.
- Creates and schedules swim classes and water fitness classes.
- Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information.
- Develops and monitors program budget to meet fiscal objectives.
- Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules and directs personnel and volunteers as needed. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals. Ensures records of staff certifications are current and complete.
- Directs and supervises program activities to meet the needs of the community and fulfill YMCA objectives. Establishes new program activities and expands programs within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations.
- Assists in YMCA fund raising activities and special events.
- Models relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions. Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
YMCA COMPETENCIES (Team Leader):
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Ys values. Ensures a high level of service with
a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships
to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent.
- One to two years related experience in aquatics preferred.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must have current ARC Lifeguard, Aquatic Swim Instructor, CPR & First Aid Certifications. ARC LGI certification preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple program areas and tasks within the aquatics program.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- This is non-traditional work week position and must be available to work occasional weekends, early mornings, and evenings.
Sufficient strength, agility, and mobility to perform essential functions of position and to supervise program activities.
- Free Membership to the Y
- Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
- Paid Time Off, Sick & Holidays
- Short Term & Long Term Disability
- Training & Development
- Wellness Resources
- Retirement Plan (403b)