Full Time Aquatics Director- Greater Portland Branch YMCA
Looking for a job where you can have fun AND make a difference in your community? Consider the Y!
The YMCA of Southern Maine is a charitable community organization committed to building strong communities through programs and services for all. We value diversity and inclusion, and actively work to create a safe, welcoming place for our neighbors. Each year, we serve over 30,000 people through child care, early childhood education, water safety, housing support, summer camp, and community outreach and health programs. As a nonprofit organization, our programs are accessible to all, regardless of one’s ability to pay.
Under the direction of the Branch Executive, the Aquatics Director is responsible for effectively and safely supervising the pool environment to prevent drowning and injuries in accordance with the policies established by the YMCA. Responsible for overseeing related administrative responsibilities. Policies must be followed within the National YMCA guidelines.
1. Plan, develop, implement, and maintain all aquatics programming that includes:
• Responsibility for the health and safety of each participant.
• Keeping all aquatics areas safe, clean and orderly.
• Maintaining pool records and statistics dealing with each program.
• Enforce appropriate safety regulations and emergency procedures.
• Be in compliance with all State Health Regulations, YMCA, YMCA of USA, DHHS and American Red Cross standards.
2. Teach swim lessons, water exercise, lifeguard and other programs as deemed necessary.
3. Check and record pool chemistry and discuss related concerns with Facilities department.
4. Orient, acclimate and train new lifeguards to the facility, programs and the YMCA.
5. Provide supervision to staff and volunteers including interviewing, hiring and training, planning, assigning and directing work and addressing complaints and resolving problems.
6. Responsible for overall direction, coordination and evaluation of the departments including performing annual employee evaluations.
7. Responsible for overseeing the Swim Team including parent committee, coaches, volunteers and swim meets.
8. Assist in special events as assigned by the Supervisor.
9. Adhere to association policy regarding fiscal compliance.
10. Management of pool rentals.
11. Actively pursue opportunities to generate income through appropriate mission driven consistent programs and activities.
12. Work with branch leadership to raise money for the Y’s programs and financial assistance through the Y’s annual campaign (the Y’s annual fundraising campaign) by identifying prospects and making personal asks.
13. Meet the association standard for attendance, punctuality and dependability; keeping in confidence matters related to office or personnel; and, exercises good judgment around areas of responsibility.
14. Attend and participate in YMCA of Southern Maine Program Leadership Team meetings.
15. Communicate effectively with support services, Executive Director and other program leaders to coordinate programs and the needs of groups.
16. Performs other duties as assigned.
• Associates degree.
• 4-6 years of experience in aquatics leadership role.
• Certified in YMCA On the Guard II and/or ARC Lifeguarding (YMCA preferred).
• YMCA Swim instructor course and/or WSI.
• Certified Pool Operator.
• Certified as an Instructor Trainer.
• Automatic External Defibrillator(AED) and Oxygen (02) Training.
• Working knowledge of a Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
• Good decision making, communication and organizational skills.
• Self- Motivated and ability to take initiative.
• Ability to work independently as well as within teams.
• Valid driver’s license, reliable vehicle and ability to travel locally.
Cost shared premium with Health, Dental. Employer paid Short & Long Term Disability and Life insurance, when eligible 7% employer contribution toward Retirement plan, Free Individual or Family YMCA membership, casual work environment with a culture focused on relationship building and our mission. Generous Paid Time Off Policy granted Immediately upon hire: 224 hours of PTO (prorated based on hire date), 5 days of Floating Holiday and 6 paid Holidays.