Full Time Aquatics Manager
The City of Harrisonburg Parks and Recreation Department is recruiting an Aquatics Manager with experience operating public aquatic facilities. This position requires a candidate to perform all duties necessary for the efficient operation of the Westover Pool and Splashpad. The focus of this position is on safe operations, safety of participants, and the ability to increase and expand the diverse participation and user-ship of our aquatic programs and facility.
The Aquatics Manager is a full-time, benefits eligible position with a preferred hiring range of $54,683 – $62,878 annually. This position requires the ability to work a flexible schedule, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
The Aquatics Manager position is responsible for planning, organizing, directing and supervising staff and the contracts/volunteers that utilize the Westover Pool. The Aquatics Manager will be responsible for managing day-to-day operations while developing strategies to increase the use of our public pools and aquatic programs. This specialized work involves supervising operational areas including maintenance, recreational programming and services, concessions, budget operations and revenue collections. The individual hired for this position will ensure compliance with all policies, procedures and regulations and sustain a culture of professionalism and respect at all levels. Additional work duties include inspecting aquatic facilities; researching and recommending changes in programs and operations based on current trends; preparing and maintaining a variety of monthly, quarterly and yearly operational and revenue reports; and providing excellent customer service.
Physical Requirements: The administrative/supervisory portion of this work requires the exertion of up to 50 pounds of force frequently. Work requires climbing, stooping, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, and grasping; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, noise, and hazards.
- Bachelor’s degree with coursework in Parks & Recreation, Public Administration, Physical Education, Aquatics Management, or related field and considerable experience in public aquatic management, programming, swimming pool operations and budget management, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Possession of CPR/AED/First Aid for the Professional Rescuer, Lifeguard Instructor, Water Safety Instructor certifications and one of the following certifications: NRPA Aquatic Facility Operator or Certified Pool Operator’s license.
- Availability to work a flexible schedule, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Valid driver’s license required.
The ideal candidate should have thorough knowledge of:
- Current trends and best practices of aquatics management, operations, programming and the physical operation of the equipment of a swimming pool;
- The philosophies, principles and practices of professional recreation work;
- First aid and lifesaving methods and safety precautions used in aquatic recreational work.
The Aquatics Manager position requires the ability to:
- Efficiently schedule and coordinate use of pool facilities;
- Prepare reports;
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Plan and supervise the work of subordinates;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, the general public, associates and with the activity participants;
- Serve the public and fellow employees with honesty and integrity in full accord with the letter and spirit of the Mission, Vision and Values of the City of Harrisonburg and the Harrisonburg Parks and Recreation Department;
- Develop innovative and creative solutions to issues consistent with the Mission, Vision and Values of the City of Harrisonburg and the Harrisonburg Parks and Recreation Department.
Successful applicants for this position must satisfactorily complete a criminal background check, drug screening, credit history review, and DMV record review.