Part Time Aquatics Staff
The YMCA of Pierce and Kitsap Counties is seeking an Aquatics Staff member to join our team!
The YMCA focuses on empowering people in all forms, by improving health and well-being and inspiring action in and across our neighborhoods.
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading non-profit, charitable organization committed to strengthening the community through youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
As an Aquatics Staff, you will be responsible for performing Lifeguard and Swim Instructor duties while creating a safe and positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals. If hired for this position, you will also be responsible for promoting member engagement and safety by maintain safe swimming conditions in the pool, deck and surrounding areas in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
- Ensuring the safety of our members at all times by vigilantly scanning the water and pool deck areas, monitoring activities, identifying safety issues and concerns, enforcing rules, and following YMCA emergency procedures and protocols.
- Instructing swimming lessons in basic and advanced stroke skills to youth members.
- Performing necessary rescue actions, administering first aid and CPR in accordance with YMCA policies, procedures, and the “safe-in-six” model; completing related reports as required.
- Preparing class lesson plans with a natural progression of appropriate skills for the abilities and ages of the classes.
- Knowing, understanding, consistently communicating, and applying safety rules, policies, and guidelines for the pool and aquatic areas.
- Attending monthly, quarterly, and/or annual training and certification courses.
- Maintains effective, positive relationships with the members, participants, and other staff.
Are you a good fit?
- You are committed to valuing and promoting diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
- You have a current Lifeguard, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, First Aid, and Oxygen certifications (preferred).
- You are at least 16 years old.
- You have six months or more of related aquatics experience (preferred).
- You have previous experience working with youth and diverse populations.
- You are able and willing to take Child Abuse Prevention training on the first day as well as other online and in-person trainings as required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodation(s).
- Regularly required to talk with members and program participants.
- Frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to grasp and feel, and reach with hands and arms.
- Frequently required to sit for long periods of time.
- Occasionally lift or move up to 40 pounds and occasionally lift or move a higher amount.
- See and observe all sections of an assigned zone or area of responsibility (specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus).
- Regularly in the water.
- Physically perform all skills required of a lifeguard.
- Hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility.
- Remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
Wages: $17.48 to $19.48 per hour, depending on qualifications
Hours: Part-Time, Up to 25 hours per week
Location: Haselwood Family YMCA, Silverdale, WA
- Flexible scheduling around school and extracurricular activities
- Optional Virtual Teladoc, Dental, and Vision Benefits
- A Personal YMCA membership and YMCA360 virtual streaming membership
- Paid Sick Leave accrued at 1.23 hours for every 40 hours worked per year
- Employee Assistance Plan (EAP), Digital mental health counseling platform, Wellness program, and LifeMart employee discount center
- Professional training, education, and certification opportunities
- 20% discount on YMCA programs, childcare services and merchandise
- Mobile carrier plan discount (22% AT&T, 21% T-Mobile, and 19% Verizon Wireless)
Ignite your Passion, Live the Y Cause, and Join our Team! To apply visit our website at www.ymcapkc.org.
The YMCA of Pierce and Kitsap Counties is committed to diversity and inclusion throughout our organization and is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Women/Minority/Veteran/Disabled.