Part Time Camp St. Croix- Lifeguard (Hourly)
Summer Lifeguards at YMCA Camp St. Croix – $14.25/hr!
YMCA Camp St. Croix is hiring enthusiastic, safety conscious, customer focused individuals that are looking for an opportunity, and have a passion for water safety, to join us as a Summer Seasonal Lifeguard!
The Camp St. Croix Lifeguard aquatics role is more than a job, and is a critical role at camp. A Lifeguard provides a safe, customer friendly, fun environment for campers and counselors, through observing waterfront activities. At Camp St. Croix, we have a passion for having a positive impact on children.
As a Lifeguard, you support water safety and well run programming, by surveying the waterfront activities (swimming, sailing, canoeing and kayaking). You will have fun while supporting a safe environment so kids can enjoy swimming at the waterfront.
Our goal in the YMCA aquatics Lifeguard program is to provide kids with a safe, fun space in the water to thrive. If you want to make a positive impact on children the aquatics lifeguard role is the adventure for you. The aquatics lifeguard is a hero through inspecting waterfront equipment and calmly responding to emergencies.
The aquatics lifeguard role is a great job for students, someone who has retired, or someone in the community who wants to make a difference in the lives of youth!
Apply today for the YMCA Camp St. Croix Lifeguard role, and join our team of passionate camp and community leaders!
1. Job Summary:
The Lifeguard is responsible for supervising the aquatics/waterfront area to prevent accidents, assist swimmers, and respond to emergencies. The incumbent will create a safe, enjoyable and positive atmosphere that promotes participant safety and satisfaction in accordance with the YMCA policies and procedures. The Lifeguard will oversee multiple activities including but not limited to open swim, water exercise, sailing, canoeing, kayaking, and other.
2. Essential Functions:
- Maintain constant surveillance of the pool or area/body of water, know/review all emergency procedures and respond to emergency situations immediately.
- Perform first aid when necessary and complete appropriate incident/accident reports.
- Know, understand, and consistently communicate policies and guidelines for the pool, body of water or whirlpool.
- Attend monthly in-service trainings.
This position reports to the Overnight Program Director, who reports to the Executive Director. The incumbent interacts regularly with their supervisor, staff, volunteers, and participants.
- Minimum age of 16.
- Current nationally accredited lifeguard certification (applicable for body of water being guarded).
- Current BLS and First Aid certifications.
- Certification required within 45 days of hire: Oxygen Administration (may not guard until certification is complete).
- Physically perform all skills required of a lifeguard.
- Hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere in the zone of responsibility, with or without reasonable accommodations.
- See and observe all sections of an assigned zone of responsibility, with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize swimmers in need of assistance.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize, respond and remedy unsafe situations.
- Ability to communicate with all ages and levels of swimmers
- Ability to work with diverse populations and ages.
- Dedicated to member safety and the mission and philosophy of the YMCA
5. Work Conditions:
- Ability to pass lifeguard water test.
- Must be able to remain alert with no lapses of consciousness in a cold or warm environment with air temperatures of up to 80 degrees or higher.
- Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods.
- Ability to perceive, identify and respond to signs of distress.
- Ability to recognize and react calmly and effectively in hazardous/dangerous situations.
- Observe all areas of the water with clear vision.
- Perform all needed rescues and survival skills.
- Be able to perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a water rescue, including swimming quickly, supporting adult body weight while swimming as far as 50 feet, and removing adult body weight from the water.
- Communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations.
- Ability to concentrate for long periods of time.
6. Additional Notes:
This job description represents the major functions of the position but is not intended to be all-inclusive. The incumbent is also responsible for taking direction from branch representatives in completing projects or performing duties deemed necessary for the location or Association’s success.