Full Time Competitive Swim Director
We are an all – inclusive organization joined together by a shared commitment to nurturing the potential of kids, promoting healthy living and fostering a sense of social responsibility. As a growing, mission focused, and future-oriented association of YMCAs, the Metro YMCA of the Oranges has an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated, mission-driven, candidate to join our team.
Under the direction of the Associate Executive Director, the Competitive Swim Director is responsible for the management of the swim team in accordance with the rules and regulations set forth with the YMCA of the USA, USA Swimming and the Metropolitan YMCA of the Oranges. The position needs to possess knowledge of competitive swimming and the ability to teach techniques instruction for all ages and abilities. The director is expected to form positive relationships, mentor as appropriate and effectively communicate with coaching staff, swim team members, swim team parents and the YMCA Community. The Director also must be in agreement with the mission of the YMCA and be willing to carry it out.
- Supervise, develop and oversee operations of swim team.
- Hire, train, supervise and evaluate staff. Maintain a quality and professional staff.
- Develop training philosophy that is appropriate for each level of competitive swimming.
- Develop a well-rounded competitive aquatic program that develops well-rounded swimmers.
- Responsible for total management of swim team including:
- Meeting deadlines for meet entries
- Keeping accurate records of swimmers’ times
- Arranging for year-end team banquet and awards
- Making arrangements for team tryouts
- Ensuring volunteers are trained (timing, Colorado system etc.)
- Providing opportunities to develop new team members through clinics
- Schedule swim meets and team building events and coordinate logistics (i.e. work with parents committee in securing volunteers to run meets, etc.)
- Supervise entire swim meet activities including warm-ups and events; ensure the safety of the swimmers.
- Attend YMCA and USA Swim Meets as required.
- Responsible for coordinating times for swim practice schedules with the Aquatics Director that will not conflict with member programs.
- Attend and participate in program activities, staff meetings and staff trainings.
- Assist with community events such as Healthy Kids Day, Open Houses and Annual Community Support Campaign.
- Participate in workshops, trainings and seminars that will enhance professional growth.
- Share responsibility for the success of the overall Branch performance and help maintain a positive image for the YMCA.
- Demonstrate and model the YMCA’s four core values of Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility.
- Exhibit personal and professional behavior in a manner consistent with the best interest of the Association, so as not to bring discredit to the Association.
- Cooperate, work effectively and congenially with all YMCA staff members, volunteers, and members of the Association.
- Perform such other job-related duties as may be periodically assigned by the Supervisor.
- Bachelor of Science in Physical Education or related field.
- Minimum Level 3 The American Swim Coaches Association (ASCA) certification or higher.
- At least 5 years of experience coaching competitive swimming and training and competition.
- Knowledge and proven experience in the management of a competitive swim team program of 100+ swimmers.
- Prior experience hiring and supervision of assistant coaches.
- Ability to work harmoniously with the swim team parents, committee and volunteers.
- Ability to create an environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interest of the swimmers, while ensuring fair practice and swim meet experiences.
- Must be currently certified in First Aid, CPR for the Professional Rescuer, Swim Coaches Safety Training. Preferred certifications include YMCA/ American Red Cross Lifeguarding, Principles of YMCA Competitive Swimming and Diving.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, HyTek software (Team/Meet Manager), TeamUnify and good written and verbal communication are essential.
- Strong interpersonal skills are required.