Full Time Director of Aquatics
This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Director of Aquatics at Yakima Family YMCA and Aquatic Center intentionally fosters a cause-centered culture that is welcoming, genuine, hopeful, nurturing, and determined while also managing high-quality, member-focused aquatics programs. This position is responsible for overall planning, implementation, management, staffing and evaluation of all aquatic programs and facility scheduling assuring high quality activities and safety of participants. This position is responsible for the year round indoor pools at both YMCA locations that includes one pool at the downtown YMCA and three pools, hot tub and two slides at the aquatic center.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Ensures programs and services meet community needs to include supervising existing program activities, establishing new program activities, and expanding the program within the community as needed. Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information.
- Coordinates use of facilities for program activities and events.
- Monitors daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local and YMCA health and safety regulations and conducts and ensures proper maintenance of pools. Maintains accurate records of pool chemical levels and facility maintenance.
- Recruits and hires diverse staff and volunteer teams across multiple dimensions of diversity. Onboard and develops them for success. Conducts lifeguarding, swim instruction, First Aid and CPR trainings. Ensures records of staff certifications are current and complete.
- Responds to all member and community inquires and complaints in a timely manner.
- Assist with program meetings and attend board meetings when asked.
- Models relationship-building skills in all interactions. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations. Maintains regular, clear, and concise communication within area of responsibility.
- Manages the program, including developing and monitoring the program budget to meet fiscal objectives; compiling program statistic to monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of and participation in program; securing and scheduling the pool facilities; and creating and scheduling the classes.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures; responds to emergency situations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Be professional in your appearance and mannerism.
- Communication: Listens and expresses self effectively and in a manner that reflects a true understanding of the needs of the audience.
- Influence: Employs influence strategies that engage, inspire, and build commitment to the cause and overall Y goals.
- Developing Self & Others: Is dedicated to the improvement of own capabilities, and demonstrates this through the continual expansion of knowledge and skills. Recognizes and acts on the need to continually develop others’ capabilities to attain the highest level of performance possible.
- Engaging Community: Delivers the benefits of good health, strong connections, greater self-confidence, and a sense of security to all who seek it.
- Values: Demonstrates in word and action the Y’s core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility and a commitment to the Y’s mission, in all matters at all times.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience.
- YMCA Team Leader certification preferred.
- Two or more years of experience as an Aquatics Director for multiple sites/pools.
- Minimum age of 21.
- Within 30 days of hire, completion of Child Abuse Prevention, Working with Program Volunteers, CPR, First Aid, AED, and Blood borne Pathogens training.
- Completion of YMCA aquatics training and trainer certifications and/or Red Cross.
- Lifeguard Certification.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a computer for extended periods of time and be able to communicate using a computer and phone/smart device. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach, and must be able to move around the work environment.
- Physically perform all skills required of a lifeguard.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions of position and to supervise program activities.
- Hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility.
- Remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
Salary and Benefits:
$50,000 – $60,000 per year DOE. Inlcudes Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Retirement, Vacation and Sick Leave.