Full Time Director of Aquatics Programs – New Tampa Family YMCA
The New Tampa Family YMCA is a premier facility located in Northwest Hillsborough county. This is a great opportunity for a seasoned aquatics leader to take the aquatics programming to the next level.
- Great market for growth
- Strong swim team presence
- Full aquatics programming
- 50 Meter Pool
To explore more about the New Tampa Family YMCA, click HERE.
Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Aquatics Director II leads center aquatics staff in playing an integral role in attracting, engaging and retaining members. This position serves on the center management team, playing an integral role in membership acquisition, engagement, aquatic program quality, and retention. The position will provide supervision to the aquatics staff, giving superior program quality, ensuring all programs support membership, increasing program enrollments, and enhancing the member and participant experience. This position ensure that their teams operate efficiently and employs a continuous improvement model to meet and/or exceed goals for member/participant satisfaction, financial management and overall growth.
Critical areas of expertise include: leading others and working in teams, highly organized program management, delivering and managing programs focusing on quality, proven results in growth in programs, successfully overseeing part-time/full-time teams and interviewing, hiring and onboarding associates.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Program Quality and Growth
- Leads the aquatic operations to ensure membership engagement, acquisition, retention, and continuous improvement to include, but not limited to:
- Directs and supervises program activities to meet the needs of the community and fulfill YMCA objectives.
- Establishes and expands all aquatic and other program activities within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans.
- Develops creative and innovative programs and services (ie… pool events, stroke clinics, Intro to lap swim, movie nights, dry land games) in the Aquatic Department to drive membership sales, engagement, and retention.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations.
- Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules and directs personnel and volunteers as needed within the aquatics department.
- Direct supervision and promotion of ASHI classes to staff and the community
- Reviews and evaluates associate performance.
- Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals.
- Responsible for daily pool operations and compliance to all state, local and YMCA health & safety regulations.
- Conducts and ensures proper maintenance of pools. Maintains accurate records for pool operation to include pool chemical checks and routine maintenance.
- Drives program membership enrollment including meeting/exceeding established goals. This includes:
- Collaborating with the Membership Director, association marketing team and center leadership teams to execute enrollment and marketing plans for the center.
- Overseeing the identification and follow-up on opportunities to increase membership and converts prospects to members.
- Meeting/exceeding revenue goals (net) for new and existing memberships and optimizes the center(s)’ membership
- Leveraging marketing resources and drives frequent/regular community, web and social media communications and engagement.
- Assists with identifying and attending community events to promote Y membership.
- Assists with providing enrollment and marketing support as needed including web and/or social media communications and engagement.
- Accountable for achieving the center membership revenue budget.
- Manages daily business and administrative functions as it pertains to the aquatics program.
- Directly responsible for aquatic budget, supplies, schedules and processing of payroll for direct staff (Instructors/Coaches) to ensure efficient use of resources occurs within programs at all times.
- Supervises/coaches team and ensures program operations align with member experience, member acquisition, and member administration goals.
- Generates and/or analyzes membership, enrollment, and revenue reports to monitor and report on achievement of membership goals.
- Ensures adherence to all YMCA policies and procedures regarding the safety, health and welfare of members, program participants, guests and staff.
- In collaboration with the management team, achieve the center operating margin
- Develop strategies for short- and long-term needs of the program and effectively leads and manages a stable team toward established goals and objectives. Cultivates program knowledge base for all associates, stressing the importance of program planning, service excellence and community service.
- Attends best practice sharing meetings with other aquatic leaders across the Y as needed and throughout the industry
- Joins any required or encouraged professional groups to bring a strong reputation and knowledge base, representing our team as needed in national conferences, training and development opportunities.
- Participate in annual giving campaign goals and provide leadership to staff giving and engagement.
- Provides direct supervision and leadership while hiring, developing, motivating and retaining a committed team passionate about the YMCA’s mission, safety and service to members.
- Provides direct supervision to all direct reports and develops and monitors staff member development plans and training opportunities that promote career growth within the Y.
- Advocates for association-wide practices and is a source for innovative ways to grow the program membership experience, base, and practices.
- Supervises and leads program teams to create and maintain meaningful and impactful relationships.
- Manages associate schedules and payroll for department ensuring efficient use of resources occurs within programs at all times.
- Ensures compliance with all federal, state and county laws and regulations related to payroll, licensing, child labor laws, etc.
Membership Engagement and Retention
- Evaluates member connection and commitment to YMCA programs and services ensuring the member experience is consistent, integrated and aligned to YMCA goals including:
- Analyzes data about member satisfaction and interests to ensure connection to aquatic programs, services, and other members.
- Follows up with all members/non-members, in a timely manner, who complete aquatic surveys, and remedies any lesser evaluation than desired.
- Collaborates regularly with center leadership, program operations, and other related teams to ensure the member experience is consistent, integrated and aligned with member needs.
- Implements relationship development strategies to increase membership engagement and retention.
Safety and Risk Management
- Ensures all Tampa Y program standards and best practices are implemented and followed. Applies YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to best practices, emergency procedures, medical and disciplinary situations and child abuse prevention.
- Ensures all program associates are properly trained and prepared for emergency situations. This includes implementing and following training requirements in addition to ensuring proper reporting of all incidents/accidents according to risk management procedures.
- Maintains proper records, including associate certifications, meetings, and trainings.
- Schedules associates and volunteers in accordance to safety and program needs and ensures all safety and program ratios are followed.
- Monitors programming to adhere to all state, local and YMCA health & safety regulations.
Completes all job related, supervisory and other trainings as directed by supervisor.
Performs all other duties as assigned.
Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Bachelor’s degree in Sports Management, Recreation, Health Sciences, Physical Education or related field or equivalent experience preferred.
- Minimum of three (3) years of aquatic or similar with supervisor experience preferred.
- Experience working in a Y (or similar) 3,000+ unit membership base organization supervising or serving in a leadership role preferred
- Supervision of budget exceeding $2,000,000 preferred (or equivalent budgeting and/or goal achievement)
- Proven results in increasing program quality and growth through exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Highly motivated with the ability to meet or exceed goals, cultivate and retain program participants.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and adapt to changing contexts and priorities.
- Strong analytical and critical-thinking skills with the ability to identify and leverage relevant data to use in planning and decision-making.
- Strategic planning and tactical execution experience that resulted in achievement of goals
- Excellent personal computer skills and experience with standard business software
- Must be able to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community
- American Red Cross Lifeguard Training course
- Preferred YMCA Swim Instructor Trainer Certification
- Preferred Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor certification
- Maintain other required certifications as stated in the training matrix.