Full Time District Aquatics Director
Take the next step in your career with this rewarding opportunity to join the YMCA of South Hampton Roads, 8th largest membership YMCA association in the country, as District Aquatics Director, at the Blocker Family YMCA and the Y on Granby, in Norfolk, Virginia! You will love the South Hampton Roads area, with great schools, and convenient shopping centers. The beach resort area of Virginia Beach is only a few miles away!
WHY WORK FOR THE Y?
The Y is a dynamic and diverse human service organization committed to nurturing the potential of kids, promoting healthy living and fostering a sense of social responsibility. The Y is a team effort, right down to our members. The care and concern we show for our members is our success gauge.
In order to maintain our success, we must recruit and hire the best employees in the area. The Y commits itself to doing so by providing our employees competitive wages, benefits and opportunities for advancement through our training programs and internal promotions.
The YMCA of South Hampton Roads is recognized as a cutting edge leader in the YMCA movement. The association serves the communities of Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Franklin, Virginia Beach, the Eastern Shore of Virginia, as well as the Outer Banks, Barco and Elizabeth City in North Carolina. We are the 9th largest membership YMCA in the United States with 40,000 membership units and 110,000 members, and has a nearly 50 million dollar operating budget. Our facilities consist of 22 Family Centers, 3 satellite fitness centers, 2 regional day camps, 1 resident camp, a 18-hole golf and banquet facility, and a nine-hole golf course operating a successful First Tee program. Our association strongly supports staff development, training, and encourages membership in the nation’s largest active chapter of YMCA Professionals Network (YPN)
Develops, organizes, and implements high quality YMCA aquatic programs. Ensures the aquatics experience is safe, fun, and enjoyable for members and program participants.
Division of Duties:
30% Maintain a safe aquatics operation – including physical facilities with trained and ready staff
30% Growth of aquatics programing – Swim Lessons and Family Programs
20 % Management of Operations – Certifications, Audits, In-Services, Chemical Logs, etc.
20% Staff Development – Recruiting, Hiring, and Training
· Supervision of all aspects of aquatics safety at the Blocker Norfolk YMCA, Camp Red Feather, and the Y on Granby
· Accountable for budget expectations and outcomes of aquatics department at the Blocker Norfolk YMCA, Camp Red Feather, and the Y on Granby
· Responsible for recruitment of new members and participants through innovative aquatic programming that reflects the mission of current and future programs
· Responsible to provide complete aquatics maintenance and pool care at Blocker Norfolk YMCA and the Y on Granby
1. Directs and supervises all aquatic program activities to meet the needs of the community and fulfill YMCA objectives. Establishes new program activities and expands program within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans
2. Recruits, hires, trains, schedules and supervises all aquatic personnel and volunteers. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals. Ensures records of staff certifications are current and complete
3. Conducts and ensures proper maintenance of outdoor pools (2), indoor pool, and hot tub. Maintains accurate records of pool chemical levels and facility maintenance in adherence with state, local, and YMCA health and safety regulations
4. Conducts lifeguarding, swim instruction, oxygen administration, swim instructor First Aid and CPR trainings
5. Creates and schedules swim classes, rentals, water exercise, and family events in the pool
6. Responsible for developing and managing aquatics budget to meet fiscal objectives
7. Actively participates in YMCA fund raising activities and special events
8. Models relationship-building skills (including Listen First) in all interactions. Responds to
all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner
9. Assists with Program Committee and Design Team meetings as necessary
10. Compiles program statistics. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation
in Aquatic program
11. Ensures all aquatics staff is trained in emergency procedures and respond to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. Follows expectations of regular in-service training for staff and completes all related reports for record keeping
12. Adheres to all YMCA of South Hampton Roads policies, procedures, rules, regulations and best practices as outlined in the Association Goldbook
13. Ability to perform all functions as those they supervise and meets qualifications and certifications of Lifeguard II and Swim Instructor
14. Completes all trainings as required, including New Staff Orientation, Blood borne pathogens and Child Abuse Prevention courses
15. Assists in all areas as assigned
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. Take the next step in your career with this rewarding opportunity to join the YMCA of South Hampton Roads we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
The YMCA of South Hampton Roads is committed to the development of staff leadership. In addition to a robust benefit program, the YMCA of South Hampton Roads also provides training to secure a promising future for our employees and our association. Excellent benefits package includes competitive pay, generous time off, membership, health benefits and the industry leading 12% retirement plan.
1. Minimum age of 21
2. Certifications: CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED, Basic First Aid certification.
3. Current YMCA Lifeguarding or Red Cross Lifeguarding certifications (instructor level preferred). Must have YMCA Lifeguard Instructor Certification within 60 days of hire
4. Current Swim Instructor Certification preferred or achieved within 60 days of hire
5. Preferred candidates will have a minimum experience of 3 years in the aquatics field
6. College degree in relevant field preferred
7. Will be required to have trainer certifications in CPR, AED, O2, Swim Instructor and Lifeguarding within 90 days of employment
8. Ability to maintain all required certifications and the necessary level of physical and mental readiness
9. Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA standards
10. Supervisory experience required, 3 years preferred
· Requires a person of maturity and good judgment, who can operate with a minimum of guidance from the Director of Operations
· Requires ability to exercise appropriate independent judgment, to assess facts and issues, and make non-routine decisions regarding day-to-day operational problems and issues
· Requires effective team-building and team-leadership skills
· Must maintain cooperative, functional relationships with senior leadership team, peers, and subordinates
· Must maintain positive, energetic attitude toward YMCA work, goals, and values
· Must have ability to respond to emergencies 24 hours a day, and to travel as needed for operational management, including on-site presence in managing major operational problems
· Must have superior oral and written communication skills and the ability to respond to a wide variety of constituencies, including staff, volunteers, members, program participants, vendors, community leaders, etc.
· Performs the duties of direct reports as needed
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS, PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
· Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions of position and to supervise program activities.
· Ability to pass lifeguard water test
· Must be able to remain alert
· Must be able to sit or stand for extended periods
· Adequate ability to hear noises and distinguish distress signals
· Ability to continuously scan all areas of the pool with clear vision
· Ability to perform strenuous physical tasks necessary for a water rescue
· Ability to communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and
· Ability to work inside and outside (environments include humidity, heat, cold, and inclement weather conditions)
· Must be able to lift and pull 75 pounds
Accountable for completion of assigned goals as measured by the number of people served, cause driven measures, service satisfaction scores, operating results, and supervisor evaluation of assigned duties.
An offer of employment is contingent upon receipt of satisfactory results to meet minimum requirements of the position. They may include criminal background and reference checks, E-Verify, drug test, driver’s license record, and/or a Child Protective Services Check (CPS). Additional driver’s license check, CPS, criminal background check, alcohol, and/or drug testing may be required to be processed in the future in order to meet and/or maintain the requirements of this position.