Full Time Full Time Lifeguard Coordinator
Who are we?
At the Seattle Y, we are an inclusive organization of men, women and children with a shared commitment to nurture the potential of youth, promote healthy living and foster social responsibility.
At the Y, strengthening community is our cause. We work side-by-side with our neighbors throughout King and south Snohomish counties to help kids and families thrive – and apply their positive behaviors and goals at home, school, the workplace and beyond.
- 13 branches
- 2 overnight camps
- 10 swimming pools
- More than 200 program sites
Where you’ll work…You’ll work in our welcoming membership facility that offers programs ranging from health and wellness, to family programs, to child care, to aquatics (access is a staff benefit – swim a few laps before work, take a yoga class, do some laps on the track before you go home, if you like!). If this sounds like an organization you’d like to work for, read on!
The Seattle Y offers a competitive pay range and excellent benefit package including YMCA membership, health, dental, life and disability insurance; tuition assistance; 12% retirement contribution, as eligible.
If this sounds like an organization you’d like to work for, read on!
What you’ll be doing…
We are looking for a trustworthy leader who want to make positive connections with members, has a keen eye for safety, and set the tone for a safe environment for kids and families. You will play a key role in ensuring safety standards are met – in the water and on the deck, engaging members and providing leadership as needed for training and managing of Lifeguards and doing admin tasks such as creating the staff schedule, monitoring pool chemicals, cleaning routines and insuring pool equipment is stocked and up to standard. You will complete required lifeguard drills, tests and exercises and supporting documentation, fundraise and professionally engage diverse communities. You have the ability to lead others and exercise great judgement and care.
Who are you?
If you’re the right candidate for the job, you are a certified Lifeguard, display positive communication skills, thrive on working with members and staff, and can step up to offer support at the first sign it’s needed. You have the desire and energy to make a positive impact in the daily lives of the people in our community. You work well under pressure, are a self-starter and navigate conflicts with positive, successful outcomes. You will spend time in the lifeguard stand, fill in lifeguarding when necessary and are available, if needed, weekends as well as opening or closing shifts. Other duties as assigned.
You are 18 years of age or and have:
- Current state approved first-aid certification.
- Current state approved CPR certification – Pro or Basic Life Support.
- Lifeguard certification – YMCA or Red Cross. *
- YMCA of Greater Seattle scanning training or equivalent*
- Ability to maintain certification-level of physical and mental readiness.
- Must be observant and able to react calmly, quickly and with good judgment in an emergency.
* If Red Cross certified, must complete Y Lifeguard certification class within 90 days of hire.
You’ll be a great fit for the Seattle Y and Aquatics Team if you:
- Thrive on working in a collaborative environment
- Are very adaptable
- Have high ownership and strong work ethic
- Are a great problem solver who can think on your feet
- Truly enjoy being of service to people
- Like being part of a team that cares about one another as people and enjoy working together
- Want to know that the work you do contributes to building a better, stronger community for all
- The YMCA of Greater Seattle is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, inclusion, and equity. We are a drug & alcohol-free workplace.