Full Time Head Lifeguard – Northern York County Branch
We provide job training, free membership, 25-50% off programming including camp and childcare, and advancement opportunities. Paid Time Off!
Looking for a job where you can have fun AND make a difference in your community? Consider the Y!
The YMCA of Southern Maine is a charitable community organization committed to building strong communities through programs and services for all. We value diversity and inclusion, and actively work to create a safe, welcoming place for our neighbors.
Benefits for Full Time Staff:
Cost shared premium with Health, Dental. Employer paid Short & Long Term Disability and Life insurance, when eligible 7% employer contribution toward Retirement plan, Free Individual or Family YMCA membership, casual work environment with a culture focused on relationship building and our mission. Generous Paid Time Off Policy granted Immediately upon hire: 224 hours of PTO (prorated based on hire date), 5 days of Floating Holiday and 6 paid Holidays.
Schedule for Part Time:
Monday – Friday 2pm-Close; Saturday 7:45am-Close
Under the direction of the Aquatics Director, the Head Lifeguard is charged with effectively and safely supervising the pool environment to prevent drowning and injuries by providing safety instructions, recognizing and responding to emergencies, rendering CPR and first aid, in accordance with the policies established by the YMCA. These policies must be followed within the National YMCA guidelines.
1. Ensures that daily testing and documentation of water chemistry, filter pressure levels and water flow rates are completed for both pools.
2. Performs weekly inspection of pump room and pool deck facilities and equipment with documentation and promptly notify Aquatics Director and Facilities Director when safety issues are identified, repair required or maintenance is needed.
3. Perform bi-weekly inventory with documentation of Taylor reagents, pool chemicals, first aid supplies, lifeguard equipment and cleaning supplies and insure items are restocked promptly.
4. Backwash filters with documentation for both pools on a weekly basis.
5. Change filter baskets in pump room w/documentation monthly.
6. Maintain proper chemistry balance and combined chlorine & TDS levels for all pools.
7. Complete monthly inspection of AED and report any issues to the Aquatics Director and Facilities Director immediately by providing each with a copy of the AED Inspection Form outlining any issues present.
8. Develop and implement regular preventative maintenance plan for “front of house” facilities and equipment.
9. Assist the Aquatics Director in creating work schedules and programming, onboarding of new staff, in-service trainings, lifeguard audits, and supervising staff. Assume weekly duties of scheduling and bulletin when time permits and in the absence of the Aquatics Director. (when applicable)
10.Acknowledge every member as they enter the pool.
11. Be able to answer questions about programs, schedules, policies or direct the person to the Aquatics Director.
12.Prepare pool for any incoming programs.
13.Teach swim lessons and instruct water group exercise classes. (if applicable)
14.Record all incidents and accidents immediately after the situation has been resolved while not being distracted from guarding the pool. Report all emergencies immediately to the Aquatics Director.
15. Maintain appropriate certifications.
16. Is an advocate to the Y by promoting our cause. Assists with the annual campaign by increasing awareness about the campaign within the Y community.
17. Learn and actively utilize ADP Employee Portal on a consistent basis.
18. Other duties as required.
• Current YMCA or American Red Cross Lifeguard certification.
• Certified Pool Operator (within 90 days).
• YMCA Lifeguard Instructor AND/OR ARC Lifeguard Instructor (w/in 6 months).
• High School Diploma.
• 2-4 years of experience in Aquatics field.
• 1 year of supervisory experience.
• Automatic External Defribulator (AED) and Oxygen (02) Training.
• Working knowledge Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to effectively communicate in person and on the phone with all levels of employees and members.
• Effective interpersonal skills, with a customer service focus.
• Ability to work independently as well as within teams.
• Excellent organizational skills with attention to details.
• Extremely reliable, dependable, and punctual.
• Good decision making skills.
• Ability to take initiative and be self-motivated.
Salary Range:$15.00-$16.00 Hourly