Full Time Head Lifeguard & Swim Instructor
JCC Greater Boston is seeking a full-time Head Lifeguard and Swim Instructor. As part of this dynamic team, the successful candidate will lifeguard and provide swim classes. This person will also assist with customer communications and administrative tasks. JCC Greater Boston is a vibrant, welcoming workplace with a strong feeling of teamwork and a shared sense of making a difference.
JCC Greater Boston is deeply committed to valuing and celebrating the uniqueness of each constituent. We welcome staff and participants from diverse backgrounds. While being proudly Jewish, we strive in every way to provide an open and welcoming setting for all, irrespective of personal practices, beliefs, or background. We are guided by JCC Greater Boston’s core values — Belonging, Joyfulness, Collaboration, and Transformation — which resonate with many who do not identify as Jewish.
Swim instructors need not be strong swimmers or experienced trainers. They must like children and be willing to guide them through a carefully designed program, boosting confidence and skills. The Aquatics Department certifies our swim instructors in the Swim Right Method and provides significant team support.
This is a 40-hour per week non-exempt position with a starting salary equal to $40,000 annualized, commensurate with qualifications and experience. If you are searching for a chance to put your swimming skills to use as part of a winning team, apply today!
Responsibilities of Head Lifeguard & Swim Instructor
- Ensure the safety of every pool patron through education and attentiveness
- Teach swimmers (children and adults) using predesigned lessons. Sessions may be with individuals or groups. Lessons may require hands on work in the pool with young children.
- Build swimmers’ confidence, skills, and love of swimming
- Track skill development through record keeping
- Set up and break down equipment
- Enforce the rules and regulations of the pools consistently
- Maintain good working relationships with staff members, maintenance personnel, and administrative personnel
- Resolve member concerns in a professional manner or escalate them, as appropriate
- Develop professional relationships with members
- Attend all mandatory trainings and in-services
- Support JCC goals and objectives
- Other activities, as required by the organization
Qualifications of Head Lifeguard & Swim Instructor
- Is currently certified in American Red Cross Lifeguarding & CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer or is able to become certified within 14 days of hire.
- Is 16 years of age or older at the time of hire
- Has good communications skills with children
- Models a strong team player approach
- Is committed to delivering quality customer service
- Is highly dependable
- Is personable and friendly
- Is able to build strong relationships with students
- Is able and willing to follow directions from supervisors and follow protocols
Essential Functions of Head Lifeguard & Swim Instructor
- Is able to see, hear, and cognitively recognize situations requiring lifeguarding services
- Is capable of working in a high temperature and high humidity environment for extended periods while wearing required personal protective equipment
- Is able to make safety-related decisions and perform CPR and/or first aid, as required
- Is able to read, write, understand, and speak English
- Is able to work in a pool environment that is subject to noise and humidity
- Is able to be in the pool for 2+ hours
- Maintains an appropriate level of fitness to competently perform all job-related tasks including the ability to 1) swim distances of 25 meters, 2) dive to pool depth of 6 feet or more, and 3) lift 50 pounds or more
- Is able to hold a child in the water
JCC Greater Boston is a nonprofit organization with roots in earlier Settlement Houses and Young Men’s Hebrew Associations; JCC Greater Boston today offers a wide range of services and program activities throughout the Greater Boston region (~50,000 individuals annually in 98 communities). The organization provides a variety of programs and services to children and adults in the Greater Boston Jewish community including: four preschools, three day camps, a regional model of Jewish family engagement, a fully equipped fitness and aquatic center, arts and culture classes, performances, lectures, and Jewish holiday celebrations.
Our vision is to create a vibrant and evolving Jewish community where everyone belongs.
Our mission is to be at the heart of that community by:
- creating a thriving community that nurtures meaningful and lasting relationships
- welcoming a growing and increasingly diverse set of individuals and families from all over Greater Boston
- supporting the building of unique identities rooted in Jewish values and deeper connections to Jewish life
- nourishing minds, bodies, and spirits through dynamic, innovative, and accessible experiences, and
- expanding engagement by partnering closely with other organizations to ensure the continuing vitality of our community as a whole
JCC Greater Boston takes the welfare and safety of staff, children, and program participants very seriously. On an ongoing basis, we align our operating procedures with guidance from the CDC and the state. In response to current local public health situations, our practices have previously included, and in the future may include, ensuring proper physical distancing, sanitation, hygiene, vaccination requirements, and use of face coverings to promote the health of our staff and program participants.