Seasonal Lead Water Safety Instructor
Lead Water Safety Instructor
Part Time with TMRS
PARK & RECREATION
6/5/2023 5:00 PM Central
- HIRING RATE: $17.50 HourlyFULL SALARY RANGE: $17.50 – $20.32 HourlyThe City:
With over 100,000 residents, the City of Allen is a dynamic and welcoming community. The City of Allen’s strong economy, diverse population, great educational institutions and quality of life makes it the ideal place to work, live, and play. The City of Allen has something to offer for everyone.The City’s Mission, is “To achieve excellence in managing development of the community and in providing city services so that conditions of living and public confidence are continually enhanced”.Our employees serve the citizens of Allen with the following values:
- People First – Giving priority to others
- Respect – Treating others with courtesy and dignity
- Integrity – Serving with honesty, trust and hard work
- Deliver – Following through on commitments while exceeding expectations
- Excel – Creating an innovative and improving work environment
The purpose of this position is to assist in coordinating swimming instruction programs, teaching swimming lessons as well as leading and conducting preschool classes. This is accomplished by overseeing the activities of the “Learn to Swim” instructors and aides, conducting training, ensuring the safety of class participants and assisting with facility operations. Other duties may include providing customer service support, maintaining swimming instructional equipment, and interfacing with other City employees and citizens. This position provides direction to other employees.
- Essential Functions
- This information is intended to be descriptive of the key responsibilities of the position. The following examples do not identify all duties performed by any single incumbent.
- Provides learn to swim training by scheduling and completing in-service sessions, illustrating safe procedures for teaching lessons according to Red Cross policies and procedures and evaluating Learn to Swim Instructors and Aides on skill assessments.
- Oversees learn to swim program activities by ensuring instructors start and end class as scheduled, handle parent concerns if needed, observing instructors to ensure that they are following proper procedure and responding to employee and citizen concerns and inquiries and providing assistance when appropriate or requested.
- Assists with teaching swimming lessons and leads and conducts preschool classes by assisting in the development and implementation of various programs, identifying the types of programs needed, identifying the resources necessary for swimming classes and instructing class participants on proper swimming techniques.
- Ensures the safety of class participants by teaching and monitoring proper pool safety procedures, visually scanning all aquatic facility areas, determining whether participants are in distress, responding to emergencies when necessary and providing first aid to customers when appropriate.
- Assists with facility operations by clearing litter and debris from pool areas, returning pool equipment to storage areas, performing maintenance activities on pool equipment, as well as preparing facilities for programs and classes.
- Job Requirements
- Education and ExperienceAny combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skill, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Less than high school or equivalency with one year relevant work experience
Overall Physical Strength Demands
- Must be at least sixteen (16) years of age
- Water Safety Instructor Certification and/or Water Safety Instructor Trainer Certification or ability to obtain within 90 days of employment
- First Aid/CPR certification or ability to obtain within 90 days of employment
- Exerting 20-50 lbs. occasionally, 10-25 lbs. frequently, or up to 10 lbs. constantly.
*Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your trusted email senders. You will receive future communications regarding your application via this email address.
- Supplemental Information
Basic – Ability to recognize meaning of common two- or three-syllable words. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Basic – Ability to perform the four basic arithmetic operations. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Basic – Ability to write simple sentences containing subject, verb, and object, and/or series of numbers, names, and addresses. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Receives directions: The employee normally performs the duty assignment after receiving general instructions as to methods, procedures, and desired end results with some discretion when making selections among a few, easily identifiable choices. Assignment is reviewed upon completion.
Work requires functioning as a lead worker performing essentially the same work as those directed, and includes overseeing work quality, training, instructing, and scheduling work.
Work involves choices of action within limits set by standard practices and procedures. Professional judgment is required to apply the proper course of action.
Interpersonal/Human Relation Skills
Discussion Very Frequent: More than 51% of work time.