GREAT SUMMER WORK OPPORTUNITY FOR A LIFEGUARD!!!
Work at Camp Felix, Monday -Friday overnight camp in Putnam Valley, NY
One-hour north of NYC (We provide transportation)
Staff Training: July 24—30; Camp Dates: July 31—August 25
The Foundling reaches 27,000 children and families each year in all five boroughs of New York City, surrounding counties, and Puerto Rico. Established in 1869, our vision is a community where every person, regardless of background or circumstance, enjoys the safe, stable, and supportive relationships needed to reach his or her full potential. To achieve this, we provide evidence-based and evidence-informed programs that focus on keeping families together; preventing abuse and neglect; providing academic support for children; and giving people with developmental disabilities the tools and training they need to lead independent lives.
The Lifeguard works under direct supervision of the Aquatics Director to achieve Camp Felix goals and objectives by assisting with the management of the swimming program at Camp Felix which allows campers to learn new skills, develop their motor and coordination skills, improve self-esteem, and relieve stress through physical exercise. Specific responsibilities include:
- Assist with preparation of pool for proper use; assure pool cleanliness.
- Implement of the written DOH safety plan’s swimming procedures, as directed by Aquatics Director.
- Ensure that safety rules and procedures are followed by staff and campers.
- Ensure proper equipment is present at the pool, including lifesaving devices.
- Assist Aquatics Director with daily pool chlorine and pH count.
- Assist with testing and marking each camper’s swimming ability.
- Assist with implementation of the buddy system and pool entry and exit.
- Supervise all staff and campers participating in swimming activities.
- Assist with swimming instruction.
- Shall not be engaged in duties or activities that distract them from the direct supervision of the waterfront.
- Respond to all pool emergencies.
- Communicate with Aquatics Director about all aquatics maintenance issues to reach immediate resolution.
- Assist Aquatics Director with evaluating equipment and supply needs at camp start and participate in end-of-season inventory process for all aquatics equipment/supplies.
- Participate in pre-camp training (7 days), as well as staff training regarding the aquatics program during camp.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional Responsibilities (during off periods, mealtime, evening activities, special events, etc)
- Help supervise campers and implement their schedule of activities.
- Ensure safety, personal hygiene and physical/emotional well-being of campers.
- Assist with all special events (i.e. Olympics, Open House, Evening Activities, etc.)
- Helps to prevent dangerous situations by minimizing risks and responding to emergencies as needed.
- Provide leadership and guidance to campers including encouraging participation in activities.
- Work collaboratively with other counselors to best meet the needs of the campers.
- Assist during mealtime, if necessary.
- Assist during transportation to/from camp and/or bus loading/unloading at camp.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must have knowledge of or experience with summer camps.
- Experience working with children required.
- Experience teaching children how to swim preferred.
- Lifeguarding experience required, preferably in a camp setting.
- Must be responsible, dependable, and concerned about safety first at all times.
- Must be able to communicate effectively and professionally with other staff, campers, and supervisors.
- Must be able to take direction and follow rules, procedures and guidelines effectively.
- Must be enthusiastic, approachable and dedicated to helping children enjoy swimming and being in the pool.
- Updated Lifeguarding, First Aid and CPR certifications required.