Part Time Lifeguard
POSITION TITLE: LIFEGUARD (Hourly)
REQUISITION #: req1420
LOCATION: EPIC INDOOR POOL/ ICE RINK
BENEFIT CATEGORY: No Benefits View Classifications & Benefits
EMPLOYMENT TYPE: Fluctuating Hourly
HOURLY RATE: $10.50 – 10.50 per hour (based on relevant experience)
SELECTION PROCESS: Application deadline is OPEN UNTIL FILLED
You will receive an email acknowledgment when you have successfully submitted an application. Your completed application will be forwarded to the hiring manager. You will be notified if you are selected for further testing or interviews. Please keep your contact information up-to-date. The status of your application will be updated in your applicant profile. Post-offer background check and drug test required.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Performs in a lifeguard position in order to protect the life and well-being of each patron using the aquatic facility.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Works under the supervision of the Aquatic Supervisor, Aquatics Coordinators and Pool Manager.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: Any one position may not include all of the duties listed, nor do the listed examples included in tasks which may be expected to be completed.
Develops the technique of preventative life guarding by:
- Prevention of any accidents by eliminating the hazard or a hazardous behavior.
- Enforcing all rules involving pool policy and operation procedure.
- Knowledge of all rules and justification for the rules.
- Educated the swimming public to the habits and attitudes of safe recreation and encourages their cooperation.
- Maintains a level of physical fitness appropriate to the demands of life guarding required to fulfill any emergency procedure for any circumstance.
- Assists in the maintenance and care of the equipment, facilities, and environment including cleaning duties.
- Attends and participates in all required City sponsored clinics, workshops, and meetings.
- Informs the supervisor of any disciplinary problems as necessary.
- Performs any other related or similar duty as assigned.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The employee will frequently work on the pool deck serving as a lifeguard. This can involve sitting, standing, and performing swimming rescues. Some work responsibilities will be performed in a standard office environment.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed in several environments as follows:
1. An office or meeting setting that may involve extended periods of sitting.
2. Standing and moving about while presenting in front of groups.
3. Traveling to a variety of City locations.
4. Visiting programs or attending meetings during the day, evening or weekends.
5. Working both indoors and outdoors.
6. Some in-state travel.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Work will require the following:
1. Regular standing or walking.
2. Bending, stooping, pulling, pushing, jumping, twisting, balancing kneeling, crouching, reaching and climbing.
3. Physical activity required in leading/demonstrating classes.
4. Lifting and carrying 24-100 pounds while setting up or cleaning up for programs or trouble-shooting problems in the field.
5. Hand-eye coordination for operation of a computer keyboard.
6. Foot-eye coordination for operation of a motor vehicle.
7. Vision to read written materials and to observe programs.
8. Speech and hearing capabilities to maintain communications with employees and citizens.
9. Must be able to meet the requirements to obtain First Aid, Automated External Defibrillation (AED), CPR for the Professional Rescuer and knowledge of emergency procedures.
MACHINES AND EQUIPMENT USED IN WORK: Standard office equipment, including computers and a variety of software applications, typewriter, copier, fax machine, telephone, video cassette recorder, cash registers, vacuums, maintenance equipment, driving a vehicle, using a cellular phone as applicable, etc.
Must be at least 15 years of age and possess a current American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Certification. Must be physically and mentally fit. Must be able to complete all Lifeguard Training physical standards at any given time during employment.
Ability to efficiently perform any rescue required and follow emergency procedures. Must be able to swim 300 yards in 10 minutes or less. Must be able to dive down 12 feet and retrieve and object from the bottom of the pool. Knowledge of the proper use and care of aquatic equipment. Ability to follow oral and written instructions. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public.
Notice Regarding Medical and/or Recreational Marijuana Use: Because the possession and use of marijuana,
whether for medical use or otherwise, constitutes a federal offense and because the City is a drug free workplace, the City will not accommodate the medical
use of marijuana and enforces written policy prohibiting working for the City while marijuana is in the body. The fact that state law recognizes medical marijuana as a prescribed, or otherwise permitted, medication does not alter or otherwise change this policy.
The City of Fort Collins will make reasonable accommodations for access to City services, programs and activities and will make special communication arrangements for persons with disabilities. Please call (970) 221-6535 for assistance.
The City of Fort Collins is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants are considered for positions for which they have applied without regard to gender (regardless of gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, age 40 years or older, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy or other characteristics protected by law. For the purpose of this City policy “sexual orientation” means a person’s actual or perceived orientation toward heterosexuality, homosexuality, bisexuality.
BACKGROUND CHECK AND DRUG TEST REQUIRED.
Note: Some information in your application may be public information under the Colorado Open Records Act.