- Application Instructions
- Your job application materials and any submitted responses to the supplemental questions will be the basis for our evaluation. Incomplete information may result in disqualification and/or affect your starting wage.
- Description & Primary Duties
- About the job:
Provide for the safety and enjoyment of JSFC guests by anticipating, recognizing, responding to and managing emergency situations as part of a professional lifeguard team.Work Schedule:
Opening through evening, 4:45 am – 4:30 pm.Shift break down
- 4:45 am – 10:40 am
- 10:35 am – 4:05 pm
- 4:00 pm – 9:30 pm
A day in the life:
- Anticipate and recognize potential emergencies by maintaining the 10/20 Protection Rule.
- Manage emergencies according to Starfish Aquatic Institute and JSFC protocols.
- Enforce facility and public health rules and regulations.
- Assist with program needs and pool set up.
- Perform cleaning, maintenance and organization tasks. Serves as locker room attendant.
- Communicate with patrons and staff in a courteous and professional manner.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Participate in district wide special events as needed.
To be considered for this position candidates must be able to pass swim test prior to interview.
Preliminary Swim Test: 100-meter (50 m with tube under armpits, 50 m with tube dragging behind you freestyle or breaststroke), retrieve 10 lb brick in 12 feet deep and tread water with hands/ears dry for 1 minute. Please check in with the receptionist upon arriving for the swim test. Times TBA
The Interview: Interviews will be scheduled with those that pass the swim test. At the conclusion of the interviews we will email applicants that are selected to attend the StarGuard Lifeguard course.
LIFEGUARD CLASS INFORMATION:
StarGuard Aquatic Institute Pool Lifeguard/CPR License class is available if needed. The class will be offered at Juniper Swim & Fitness Center. Classes are mandatory.
StarGuard Lifeguard course: There is an on-line section (about 6-8 hrs) that you need to complete before the water/classroom portion (about 18-22 hrs) begins.
**You will be given access to StarGuard Lifeguard Book (eReader book) and a link from [email protected] will be sent to your email giving you access to the on-line course. The on-line class takes about 6-8 hours to complete. Have the on-line class completed by November 13th.
Class Schedule – (November 13th, 14th & 15th )
- November 13th Friday @ 4:30 – 8:00 pm
- November 14th, Saturday @ 9:00 am — 6:00 pm
- November 15th Sunday @ 9:00 am — 6:00 pm
Jobs will be offered upon successful completion of the StarGuard Lifeguard course.
Bend Park & Recreation District Core Competencies:
All positions with Bend Park and Recreation District are subject to district and position competencies. Below is a list of the most critical competencies for this position. Additional competencies are required for the position and may change based on district needs. A complete list of the competencies is available from Human Resources.
• Accountability • Customer Service Orientation • Safety • Judgment and Decision Making • Teamwork and Cooperation • Results Orientation •
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- What we’re looking for:Considerable Knowledge of: Aquatic safety, first aid and basic life support.Ability and skill to: effectively communicate with patrons, staff and volunteers; pass a rigorous sweim test including 100-meter (50 m with tube under armpits, 50 m with tube dragging behind you freestyle or breaststroke), retrieve 10 lb brick in 12 feet deep and tread water with hands/ears dry for 1 minute; possess current lifesaving and first aid certifications as designated by JSFC; establish and maintain positive, respectful and cooperative relationships with all contacts; handle stressful working conditions and emergencies; wear appropriate attire to actively participate in all activities.Experience and Training:
1. High school graduation or equivalency or currently attending high school; AND
2. Some previous experience with aquatic safety, lifesaving and first aid; OR
3. Any satisfactory combination of experience and training**Must be able to pass swim test prior to interview. Swim test includes: 100-meter (50 m with tube under armpits, 50 m with tube dragging behind you freestyle or breaststroke), retrieve 10 lb brick in 12 feet deep and tread water with hands/ears dry for 1 minute.Certifications:
Current Starfish Aquatic Institute Pool Lifeguard/CPR License
- Additional Information
- Working Conditions: Duties may be performed either indoors or outdoors, which may include working in extreme weather conditions (warm and humid indoor conditions to cool outdoor conditions) and ongoing exposure to sun and pool chemical such as chlorine. Work schedule is varied and may require evenings, weekends and holidays. Hours vary depending upon specific program needs. The flow of work and character of duties involve a high degree of mental and visual attention much or all of the time. Physical exertion includes frequent walking, bending and the ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds unassisted, pushing, pulling and kneeling in order to conduct extractions and deliver basic first aid/life support and to deliver and move equipment and supplies. Job stress may include dealing with crowds, uncooperative participants, difficult individuals, emergency response, exposure to illness and periods of continuous demand.Supervision Exercised: Supervision is not normally a responsibility of this position.
Supervision Received: Work under the general supervision of Recreation Assistant and/or Recreation Coordinators. Work under direct program supervision of Recreation Leader 3 and Recreation Leader 2.Selection Process: Applicants are screened based upon their relevant knowledge, abilities, skills, experience, and training. An offer of employment is contingent on the verification of credentials and other information required by Bend Park & Recreation District policies, including a background check, a pre-employment drug screen, and a driving history review when driving is required for position.