Part Time Lifeguard
NO EXPERIENCE? NO PROBLEM! Free Lifeguard Certification offered when you commit to working at the YMCA for a minimum of 12 weeks.
About the YMCA
The Y is filled with passionate leaders, thinkers and doers. Whether a camp counselor, program director or fitness instructor, we all share a common goal to serve and make our community healthier, happier and stronger.
We look for people who will show up as their whole self because we value diversity and inclusion, as well as people who enjoy working on a team and with the public. If you can see yourself at the Y, please read on!
- Free membership!
- Plenty of paid time off for life, vacations, staycations, and rest.
- YMCA-subsidized medical, dental, and vision, plus YMCA-funded HRA (FT & PT30).
- Generous program discounts.
- Meaningful assistance programs like mentoring and retirement (403(b) and Y Retirement).
- Training, certification and advancement opportunities.
About this Role
Under the direction of the Aquatics Director, the Lifeguard is charged with effectively and safely supervising the pool environment to prevent drowning and injuries by providing safety instructions, recognizing and responding to emergencies, and rendering CPR and first aid in accordance with the policies established by the YMCA.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Inclusion – Honors the YMCA of Southern Maine’s Promise Statement. Models a commitment to equity and inclusion. Creates a safe environment that helps all feel welcome and respected. Promotes feelings of mutual respect, acceptance, and appreciation. Supports people with unique experiences or points of view to share their perspectives.
- Programming – Follows and supports all Association protocols and priorities and State guidelines, and in adherence with all Y Brand guidelines. Regularly supports programming by guarding, performing “off scan” duties, such as water chemistry tests and taking corrective action based on test results, and other duties as needed.
- Leadership – Is a collaborative, engaged, and active participant in our Association, including communicating in an effective and timely manner and making sound decisions.
- Relationship Building – Develop positive, authentic relationships within the Y that lead to greater awareness of the Y’s mission and impact, growth in number of people served, as well as revenue. Listens and expresses self effectively and with an understanding of the needs of a particular audience.
- Personal Growth – Maintains a high degree of emotional maturity and interpersonal skills and is committed to personal growth and skill acquisition.
- Operations & Safety – Maintains rescue readiness at all times and is singularly focused and never distracted by personal or secondary activities. Always positions to protect and aggressively scans entire area of responsibility. Is constantly vigilant to all patrons and to all activity on and below the water’s surface, on the pool bottom and on the pool deck. Consistently enforces non-swimmer protection and safety rules, including making sure children marked as non-swimmers are in shallow water and are protected. Takes immediate corrective action when swimmers break rules or engage in risky behavior.
- Mission Advancement – Is an advocate for the Y by promoting our cause. Supports philanthropy by increasing awareness about the annual campaign within the Y community.
- Data Tracking & Documentation –Maintains accurate and consistent data tracking and documentation, as required.
We’re looking for someone:
- 16 years of age or older.
- Certifications including:
- Current YMCA or American Red Cross Lifeguard.
- CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED and Basic First Aid.
- Possess a valid driver’s license and the ability to travel locally.
- A criminal background check is required and may include fingerprinting through the Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS), prior to hire. This will be paid for by the YMCA of Southern Maine.
- The ideal candidate must be able to complete all physical requirements of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Starting at $14/hour, depending on experience.
We invite you to join us in this amazing work — to develop your skills, to realize your potential and to discover a career that is so much more than a job.
Where permitted by applicable law, candidates must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccine by date of hire to be considered. The YMCA will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified employees with a valid medical exemption or for a sincerely held religious belief.
A Commitment to Equity and Inclusion
We commit to inclusion in our mission and in our hiring practices by promising to make the Y open to all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, or financial circumstances, without discrimination.