Part Time Lifeguard – City of Santa Maria
- Please see the SELECTION PROCESS below for required attachment(s) to the electronic application. Applicants will not be able to “submit” the application, without first electronically attaching the required documents.If you have further job-related questions please contact staff in the HR Division at 805-925-0951 x2203. If you are experiencing any technical (computer related) difficulties, please call the NEOGOV help line for technical assistance at 1-855-524-5627.
Under direct supervision of the Facility Specialist, Lifeguards safeguard swimmers and assist with lesson instruction at the Paul Nelson Aquatic Center, or other city programmed pools.
- EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Under supervision, safeguards swimmers and enforces pool safety rules and regulations while life guarding during activities such as public swim and aquatic instruction. Assists swimming instructors in teaching swimming lessons. Prepares written information relating to lessons, registrations, incidents/accidents, and assists Facility Specialist as needed. Position is also required to assist with general facility maintenance and perform other duties as assigned. Weekend, holiday, and split shift work will be required.
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Must be at least 15 years of age, in good health, and possess appropriate physical strength to perform duties as a lifeguard. Applicant must work well with the general public, including infants, youth, adults, and those with special needs and have the ability to interact positively with staff.
• American Red Cross Lifeguard Training (including CPR for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid)
• American Red Cross Title 22 Training (Emergency Response)
• Possession of a current (less than six month old) Tuberculosis clearance slip
• Department of Justice background check prior to employment
• American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Aide
• At least one year of experience as a Water Safety Instructor Aide
- TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
- SELECTION PROCESS:
The completed electronic application packet will include the online application and supplemental questions. For any technical difficulties or help with attaching documents to your application, please contact NEOGOV at 1-855-524-5627.
As you complete your online application, please provide complete and accurate information for each employment during the past 10 years. Attaching a resume to your electronic application does not substitute for providing the information requested on the electronic application. Do not write “See resume” or “See attached.” Failure to provide complete information will cause forfeiture toward employment with the City.
As you complete your supplemental questionnaire, please provide length of experience as of the date the recruitment closes, not as of the date you are submitting your application.
Applicants are required to apply online. Hard copy application packets will not be accepted in lieu of applying through the online process. However, persons who believe they are qualified under the Americans with Disability Act (ADA) or California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA) may request a reasonable accommodation to participate in the recruitment process. The request must be received by Human Resources with sufficient time prior to the final filing deadline, to allow for the request to be considered through the interactive process.
The most qualified candidates will be selected to appear before a panel for an interview. Those applicants invited to interview will be notified electronically at the e-mail address provided by each candidate through application process. Therefore, it is the applicant’s responsibility to provide an accurate email address and to allow their inbox to receive emails in regard to this recruitment. A tentative oral interview date has been scheduled for April 25, 2019. The oral board will recommend a limited number of candidates to the eligibility list from which the new Lifeguard(s) may be selected. This recruitment may also establish an eligibility list for future City-wide Lifeguard openings.