Seasonal Lifeguard I
- Do you dream of a job where you can be indoors in shorts and flip flops? Want to be part of an important team, have a position of authority with a flexible schedule and a great paycheck? Become a PWC Parks & Recreation Lifeguard. As a lifeguard you will learn valuable life skills and develop leadership abilities that colleges and future employers are looking for. We are seeking applicants who enjoy a fast paced work environment, are responsible and have excellent communication skills. Safety of our guests is our top priority. With 8 aquatic facilities throughout the county serving over 400,000 visitors a year we are a 7 day a week operation which requires a flexible work schedule. Shifts will range from early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays.
Must be at least 15 years old and pass these swim test requirements for consideration as a Lifeguard:
– Swim 200 yards without stopping
– Retrieve a 10 pound brick from the deepest end of the pool
– Tread water for 2 minutes without using your arms or hands
After successfully passing the swim test requirements and interview process this position requires all Lifeguards to complete the Ellis & Associates International Lifeguard Training Program which is included free of charge in your training as a Parks & Recreation Lifeguard.
The Department of Parks, Recreation & Tourism conducts DMV records checks on all licensed employees and criminal background checks on all hires age 18 years and older.
Note: The information that follows is a County-wide Classification Specification that may include details not specifically applicable to this position.
- The statements in this class specification are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by incumbent(s) assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK:
Ensures the safety of patrons of an aquatic facility by preventing and responding to emergencies.
Maintains constant surveillance of patrons in the facility, acts immediately and appropriately to secure safety of patrons in the event of emergency;
Provides emergency care and treatment as required until the arrival of emergency medical services;
Performs various maintenance duties as directed to maintain a clean and safe facility;
Enforces pool rules;
Maintains skills at test ready levels at all times;
Performs related work as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Ability to communicate effectively with the general public and to work in a team environment; proven leadership and problem solving skills; ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations; skilled in the application of lifeguarding surveillance and rescue techniques.
- EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Certified in Ellis and Associates Lifeguarding, CPR-PR, AED, Oxygen Administration and First Aid.
- SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively communicate and interact with other employees and the public through the use of the telephone and personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle or feel objects and controls;
Must have physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment, such as, but not limited to a, personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax machine;
Significant climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, talking, and repetitive motions;
Able to swim 200 yards, tread water for 2 minutes without use of hands, and must be able to retrieve a brick from a depth of 10 feet of water.Background Checks, which may include but are not limited to: Criminal History Check, Credit History Check, Education Verification Check, License Verification Check, and/or Fingerprinting may be required (Effective January 3, 2013) as posted in the job advertisement