Part Time Lifeguard/Senior Lifeguard
California State University Maritime Academy
Job Bulletin Number: 103124
Classification: Casual Worker
Full/Part-time: Part-time – Up to 29 hours per week
Employment Type: Temporary
Bargaining Unit: Excluded
Pay Plan: Hourly
Salary Range: $14.00 – $15.00 per hour – Commensurate with experience and certification(s)
Benefits: Free lap swim and working outside with an experienced and professional Aquatics team.
Pre-Employment Conditions: Background/Fingerprinting
Closing Date: Open until filled.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested parties should submit the Cal Maritime Employment Application, a cover letter, resume and copies of their certifications. Apply on-line at https://apptrkr.com/1431608.
ABOUT THE CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY MARITIME ACADEMY:
Established in 1929, California State University Maritime Academy, a campus of the California State University, is the only degree-granting maritime academy on the West Coast. Located on a scenic waterfront site in Vallejo, the campus serves a student population of approximately 1100 undergraduates and 50 graduate students. The campus currently offers undergraduate degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Marine Transportation, Global and Maritime Studies, and Business Administration. A master’s degree in Transportation and Engineering Management is offered as well as a number of extended learning programs and courses.
The Aquatics Facility is located on the California State University Maritime Academy campus. The facility includes locker rooms, weight room, cardio room, bleachers, and a 50 meter competitive pool. More information at www.cmakeehaulers.com
Under the supervision and direction of the Aquatics Supervisor, Lifeguards will be responsible for ensuring adherence to safety rules, preventing accidents, and the safety and rescue of patrons in and around the aquatics area. They will also be responsible for organizing and setting up for various aquatics programs.
• Maintain constant surveillance of patrons in the facility.
• Act immediately and appropriately to secure the safety of patrons in the event of an emergency.
• Perform various maintenance and cleaning duties as needed to maintain a clean, healthy and safe facility.
• Follow emergency action plan and procedures established in the event of an emergency.
• Responsible for set-up and clean-up of pool areas.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
In addition to the above, Senior Lifeguard responsibilities include:
• Monitoring Lifeguards and patrons on deck.
• Provide feedback of staff and programs to Aquatic Specialists.
• Must be at least 15 years of age.
• Must be able to swim 300 yards non-stop, freestyle or breaststroke.
• Must be able to tread water (legs only) for 2 minutes.
• Must be self-disciplined, responsible, and alert.
• Must be able to sit, stand, and walk for long periods of time.
• Must possess certificates for: Lifeguard, First-Aid, and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer.
• Must be an effective communicator.
• Must be a customer service oriented team player.
• Must be punctual.
• Must present professional appearance and attitude at all times, and maintain a high standard of customer service.
In addition to the above, a Senior Lifeguard minimum qualification include:
• One season of experience working as a Lifeguard.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Senior Lifeguard
• Title 22 Certification
• Water Safety Instruction Certification
PHYSICAL, MENTAL and ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
• Fifty percent or more of the activities involve walking, standing, squatting, kneeling or walking; involves lifting heavy weight objects which may exceed 50 pounds.
• Employee regularly works outdoors and is routinely exposed to the sun, may be exposed to extreme heat or cold and rain.
• Regularly works on uneven slippery surfaces.
HOURS of WORK: To be scheduled up to 29 hours per week. Must be available to work varied days and hours based on pool needs. This may include early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays.
BACKGROUND CHECK: A background check (including a criminal records check and fingerprinting) must be satisfactorily completed before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
MANDATED REPORTER: The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment.
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK: Applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days of the date of hire.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with a Disability
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
How to Apply