Part Time Lifeguards (Part-time Position)
Lifeguards (Part-time Position)
About SUNY Maritime College:
SUNY Maritime College located on a 55-acre scenic waterfront property on the outskirts of New York City on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the East River meets Long Island Sound. The campus blends the best of two worlds: a comfortable college-town feel with the greatest city in the world. An impressive view of the sound extends toward the North Atlantic, yet only a few miles away are Yankee Stadium and midtown Manhattan. SUNY Maritime offers an array of employment opportunities stemming from entry level to professional positions which encourage growth and development among its employees.
Ensures the safety of patrons of the Maritime Aquatic Center facility by preventing and responding to emergencies.
- Depending on shift assignment, responsible for opening or closing facility
- Maintains constant surveillance of patrons in the facility; acts immediately and appropriately to secure safety of patrons in the event of emergency
- Provides emergency care and treatment as required until the arrival of higher level emergency medical services
- Presents professional appearance and attitude at all times, and maintains a high standard of customer service
- Performs various maintenance duties as directed to maintain a clean and safe facility. (Washing down the pool deck, cleaning deck drains)
- Prepares and maintains appropriate activity reports. (Incidents reports)
- Two years of related experience
- Must possess CPR, First Aid, and Lifeguard (Red Cross) certificates & maintain certification while employed
- Must pass pre-employment physical skills evaluation as stipulated by the Aquatics Center Director
- Must be available for in-service trainings once a month
- Knowledge of CPR and emergency medical procedures
- Ability to follow routine verbal and written instructions
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations
- Skill in the application of lifeguard surveillance and rescue techniques
- Ability to prepare routine administrative paperwork
- Knowledge of customer service standards and procedures
Local Title: Lifeguard
SUNY Maritime College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For our full non-discrimination statement, see: http://www.sunymaritime.edu/page/affirmative-action.
SUNY Maritime College is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its students, faculty, staff, volunteers and the general public that use our facilities. Therefore, in order to ensure the hiring of employees of the highest integrity and to maintain a safe campus community, SUNY Maritime College will conduct pre-employment background investigations on all individuals for whom employment is to be offered.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at [email protected].
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call The Office of Human Resource Services at (718) 409-7303. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (718) 409-7350. It can also be viewed on line by selecting University Police at www.sunymaritime.edu.
Persons interested in the above position should apply online. Please submit:
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three professional references