Part Time Recreation Specialist I – Lifeguard
Recreation Specialist I
- Job Overview
- *This recruitment will be used to fill Recreation Specialist I vacancies at all Recreations Centers and Facilities: Bostonia, Fletcher Hills Center and Pool, Hillside, Kennedy Center and Skatepark, Renette, Mobile Outdoor Rec Squad, and Ronald Reagan.*
*Part-Time Temporary Job*
Recreation Specialist I Starting Salary: $13.00 HourlyThe City of El Cajon is currently searching for enthusiastic individuals to join our Recreation Department. The ideal candidate will be a team player who enjoys leading activities, games, sports, arts and crafts, and special events for youth and the community.
As a Recreation Specialist I, this position requires an ability to perform a full range of duties as assigned, working independently and exercising judgment and initiative. Recreation Specialist I’s receive instruction and/or assistance during the day from the Recreation Specialist II’s, or Operation Directors. Recreation Specialist I’s are able to adjust when new or unusual situations arise and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work. Independent judgment is required to identify, select, and apply the most appropriate of available guidelines and procedures, interpret precedents, and adopt standard methods or practices to meet variations in facts and/or conditions.
This position is utilized in various ways throughout the City:
- Front Office Staff at our Recreation Facilities
- Youth Sports Coaches and Referees
- Day Camp Leaders
- Special Event Staff
- Mobile Outdoor Recreation Leader
- Instructional Classes and Program Leaders
- Other responsibilities as needed and assigned
- Typical Duties
- Directing and supervising participants of the Recreation programs
- Ensuring the health, welfare, and safety of the participants of the program
- Working closely with the Recreation Specialist II’s to ensure the success of programs through the preparation, execution, and evaluation of the program
- Assisting other staff in organizing and cleaning facility areas and equipment
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with parents, community center staff and other key individuals
- Maintaining a fun and positive attitude daily to create a happy environment for participants
- Other duties as assigned
- Some knowledge of recreational activities, games, sports, arts and crafts
- Ability to be creative and innovative with recreation programs
- Possess excellent customer service and communication skills
- Ability to work with children and/or adults and give effective guidance to center patrons
- Ability to provide the necessary support to ensure the health and well-being of all participants and staff
- Must be able to take direction as well as have the ability to take initiative
- Establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- Possess basic computer skills
- Requires a flexible work schedule that may require morning and evening hours, as well as weekends and holidays
For the full job description, please visit our website: Recreation Specialist I
- Qualification Guidelines
- Education: Educational achievement equivalent to completion of or currently attending high school.
Experience: Some experience with recreation programming and leading activities for children and/or adults is desired.
Special Requirements: Ability to obtain a CPR card and First Aid Certificate. May be required
to provide means to commute between work sites in course of work, including the use of personal vehicle during assigned shifts. May be required to possess or have the ability to obtain, prior to employment, a valid Class C California driver’s license with a safe driving record. Ability to lift and move up to 20 lbs.
- Additional Information
- NO DISCRIMINATION POLICY
The City of El Cajon does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion and handicapped status on employment of the provision of services.
200 CIVIC CENTER WAY * EL CAJON, CALIFORNIA *(619)441-1754