Part Time Recreation Specialist III- Water Safety Instructor
Recreation Specialist III- Water Safety Instructor
- Job Overview
*Part-Time Seasonal Temporary Job*
Recreation Specialist III Starting Salary: $16.64 HourlyThe City of El Cajon is currently looking for an individual to work on a “seasonal / part-time” basis as a Lifeguard / Water Safety Instructor from approximately June 1 through September 30.THE POSITION:
As a Water Safety Instructor, this position requires the ability to perform a full range of duties as assigned, working independently and exercising judgment and initiative. Water Safety Instructors receive instruction and/or assistance from the Recreation Supervisor. Water Safety Instructors are able to adjust when new or unusual situations arise and are fully aware of the operating procedures and policies of the work. Independent judgment is required to identify, select, and apply the most appropriate of available guidelines and procedures, interpret precedents, and adopt standard methods or practices to meet variations in facts and/or conditions. They must have the ability to lead a class independently. Water Safety Instructors are required to have prior related experience.
- Typical Duties
- Direct and supervise participants of the aquatics programs
- Perform lifeguard duties; prevent accidents; enforce rules and regulations
- Supervise pool and locker room
- Teach swimming lessons under the American Red Cross Learn to Swim Program, which would include the following classes: Parent-Tot, Tiny Tot, Learn to Swim Levels I-IV
- Ensure the health, welfare, and safety of the participants of the program
- Work closely with the Recreation Supervisor to ensure the success of programs through preparation, execution, and evaluation
- Cashiering duties when assigned
- Perform light maintenance
- Establish and maintain relationships with parents, community center staff and other key individuals
- Maintain a fun and positive attitude daily to create a happy environment for participants
- Other duties as assigned
- Possession of current certificates in: Fundamentals of Instructor Training, American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor, Lifeguard Training, First Aid for Public Safety Personnel (Title 22), and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer. Photocopies of both sides of required certifications must accompany employment application to be considered.
- Candidates are required to pass a physical exam (to include screening for alcohol & drugs) prior to appointment.
- May be required to provide means to commute between work sites in course of work, including the use of personal vehicle during assigned shifts. May be required to possess or have the ability to obtain, prior to employment, a valid Class C California driver’s license with a safe driving record.
- Qualification Guidelines
Educational achievement equivalent to completion of or currently attending high school. Additional training in area of specialization related to aquatics is desired.EXAMINATION PROCESS:
Qualified candidates will be evaluated for employment consideration on the basis of a written exam and physical performance test.
- The written examination will cover first aid, CPR, and lifeguard training skills.
- The performance test may include a 100 meter swim under 1:45; demonstrate proficiency and endurance using five basic swim strokes; 1-minute tread water; and rescue demonstration of submerged, active/passive victims.
An oral interview of those best qualified will be used to rank applicants for final selection.
Special Requirements: May be required to provide means to commute between work sites in course of work, including the use of personal vehicle during assigned shifts. May be required to possess or have the ability to obtain, prior to employment, a valid Class C California driver’s license with a safe driving record. Ability to lift and move up to 20 lbs.
- Additional Information
- NO DISCRIMINATION POLICY
The City of El Cajon does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion and handicapped status on employment of the provision of services.200 CIVIC CENTER WAY * EL CAJON, CALIFORNIA *(619)441-1754
- City of El Cajon
- 200 Civic Center WayEl Cajon, California, 92020