Full Time Senior Aquatics Director
Under the direction of the District VP of Operations, the Senior Aquatics Director will provide leadership in developing, implementing, and administering quality aquatics programs for the Somerset Hills, Somerville and Bridgewater branches that are consistent with the mission of Greater Somerset County YMCA. Requires a flexible schedule with some evening and weekend work as defined by the needs of the individual branch programs.
Responsible for the development, implementation and enhancement of all revenue producing and other aquatics programs including but not limited to swim lessons (parent/child, preschool, youth, adult, private and summer camp), and lifeguard training, offsite partnerships and more.
- Manages and develops the US Masters Swim Program.
- Executes Aquatics Safety training protocols and onboarding program for lifeguards and swim instructors.
- Develops and manages the Aquatics Department budget.
- Oversees the selection, training, development and evaluation of two (2) branch Associate Aquatics Directors and one (1) Administrative Associate Aquatics Director.
- Provides indirect supervision to Deck Supervisors, Swim/Aquacise Instructors, Lifeguards and other program staff.
- Develops, maintains and evaluates offsite opportunities including BOE partnerships.
- Manages all high school pool rentals and the relationship with Pleasant Valley Pool each summer for guards/pool manager for LC Swim Team practice.
- Responsible for training all Aquatics leaders on emergency response and opening and closing procedures, required staff training and reviewing the training plans of all staff on a monthly basis.
- Occasionally teaches swim lessons, water exercise, swim instructor and LGI trainings and other aquatic classes as needed.
- Responsible for planning monthly in-service trainings for Aquatics staff who hold Lifeguard certification at all three (3) sites and conducting these trainings as required.
- Responsible for running YMCA and American Red Cross certification or re-certification classes for current staff and membership population.
- Responsible for maintaining certification records.
- Works in tandem with Facility Directors to manage pool operations.
- Manages the Special Olympics Swim Program in tandem with Swim Coach.
- Works with Associate Aquatics Directors to maintain a pool schedule that balances the needs of all aquatic groups, planning and conducting regular drills and manages safety and meets budgeted hours.
- Responsible for maintaining a clean pool environment to include properly testing pool chemicals for proper balance and filtration systems.
- Meets all annual campaign goals and organizing volunteers to lead in the annual community support campaign.
- Responsible for promoting Aquatics programs, including developing program information for the website, programming guide, social media, etc.
- Assist with collaborating and building relationships within the Branch, Association and community organizations, to meet the needs of members, program participants and the community at large.
- Responsible for complying with all Greater Somerset County YMCA Policies and Procedures.
- Adheres and incorporates the YMCA values of caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility and educates members about the YMCA mission and goals.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by the Aquatic Director.
- Actively participate in trainings, seminars, special events, and meetings as required.
• Minimum of 5 years of experience managing multiple aquatics facilities, including the supervision and development of staff supervision.
• Bachelor’s Degree in physical education, recreation, or related field or equivalent experience.
• Ability to direct aquatics programming through supervision of staff and volunteers, development and monitoring of budgets, marketing and public relations, program development.
• Fund-raising experience.
• Strong organizational, leadership, administrative, and computer skills including solid working knowledge of Microsoft Word/Excel.
• Proven communication skills, both written and verbal, and strong human relations skills.
• Strong knowledge of budgeting and expense control.
• Requires a flexible schedule with some evening and weekend work as defined by the needs of the individual branch programs.
• Current Lifeguard Certification, Lifeguard Instructor certification a plus/to be trained Certified Pool Operator (CPO) certification or Y POOL certification a plus/to be trained
• Knowledge of NJ Bathing Code.
• YMCA Team Leader certification preferred.
- FREE family membership to Greater Somerset County YMCA, including full access to all of our branch facilities including Bridgewater YMCA, Hillsborough YMCA, Princeton YMCA, Somerset Hills YMCA, and Somerville YMCA.
- FREE nationwide membership with access to over 2,500 YMCA locations across the country
- Discounted program fees
- Paid sick leave and short-term disability insurance
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous 12% retirement contribution to the YMCA Retirement Fund after eligibility period (no employee contribution required)
- Medical and dental insurance with prescription coverage
- Vision insurance
- Flexible Spending Account for medical and/or dependent care
- 100% contribution towards life insurance and long-term disability
- Optional additional life insurance and dependent life insurance available at low rates
- 403(b) Smart Savings Plan
- Generous paid time off policy
- 7 paid holidays
Greater Somerset County YMCA is a drug free work environment. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcome all applicants who share our values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.