This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
20 Sep 2021
Full Time Senior Aquatics Director
GREAT MIAMI VALLEY YMCA
Title: Sr. AQUATICS DIRECTOR
FLSA Status: Exempt
Status: Full-Time Department: Aquatics
Reports to: Branch Executive Revision Date: 11/30/2018
Under the direction of the Branch Executive and in accordance with the Christian nature and purpose of the Great Miami Valley YMCA Association, the Aquatics Director administers, supervises, and develops the aquatic programs and services of the Branch. Recreational and instructional programs are conducted for preschoolers, youth and adults in accordance with the program and membership policies of the branch.
GREAT MIAMI VALLEY YMCA ASSOCIATION SUMMARY:
OUR MISSION: To put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind, and body for all.
OUR IMPACT: To strengthen our community by providing opportunities to serve children, individuals, and families in a safe environment which encourages all to live healthy lives and to exhibit positive character values such as faith, caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
1. Develop and expand aquatics programs and services for all age groups.
2. Develop long range vision and strategies for the Aquatics Department.
3. Recruit and secure sufficient qualified staff and volunteers to effectively operate the facility and programs of the departments as budgeted and approved.
4. Supervise and guide all aquatic staff in the duties outlined in their job descriptions.
5. Organize, staff, and conduct registration for all aquatics programming.
6. Plan and develop the schedule for all aquatics programming.
7. Collaborate with community organizations and service agencies to provide YMCA aquatic programs for all populations.
8. Lead the planning and development of a continuous program of staff and volunteer training and development, affording the opportunity for total staff certification in YMCA aquatic leadership. Provide CPR and First Aid training for all branch staff.
9. Inspect the facilities and equipment within the department to ensure high standards of maintenance, cleanliness, and repair of equipment.
10. Understand and implement total emergency procedures, closing and opening of the pool facilities, etc.
11. Provide ongoing member services to program participants, parents, staff, and volunteers to ensure understanding of their needs and current trends.
12. Conduct and prepare aquatic evaluations including cost analysis, program enrollments, and qualitative measures of program and membership services.
13. Plan and develop an annual budget of income and expense for the department. Administer the annual budget as approved emphasizing income production and expense control.
14. Manage all first aid and blood-borne pathogen kits for all areas of operation of all facilities.
15. Manage surplus supplies and place all orders as necessary. Maintain supplies in an organized manner.
16. Manage pool and whirlpool operations.
17. Support all branch and association-wide membership retention and engagement initiatives including annual campaign efforts.
YMCA LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES:
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Recruits volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
1. Education: Bachelor’s degree in Recreation or Health and Physical Education or related field is required or Associate’s degree and relevant experience.
2. Experience: Must have experience in aquatics, preferably two to three years at the YMCA.
3. YMCA Lifeguard or equivalent certification required.
4. Experience in leadership roles in YMCA Aquatic Institutes and seminars to include training of preschool swimming, progressive swimming, and lifesaving specialist instructors preferred.
5. Budget development and administration skills preferred. Planning and program development skills preferred.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the community.
- Physical ability to respond quickly in emergency: regular kneeling, bending, or sitting.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 25 lbs.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious relationships with staff, volunteers, members, and program participants.