Part Time Swim Instructor
Dive into a career!
The YMCA aquatics program is hiring enthusiastic, safety conscious, customer focused individuals that are looking for an opportunity and have a passion for water safety!
Do you like to teach? Are you comfortable in the water and know the basic strokes? Do you want to make a difference in your community? The YMCA Swim Instructor aquatics role offers career development, a great mission to get behind, and is a FUN environment.
The YMCA Swim Instructor aquatics role is more than a job and is a critical role at the YMCA. A Swim Instructor teaches youth and adults critical swim skills to be safe and have fun in a land of over 10,000 lakes. At the aquatic pools we have a passion for having a positive impact on children.
Our goal in the YMCA aquatics swim lesson program is to provide kids and adults with a safe, fun space in the water to thrive. If you want to make a positive impact on children, the aquatics Swim Instructor role is the adventure for you. The aquatics Swim Instructor is a hero by helping to create recreational swimmers, refine skills and ensure kids stay safe in and around water.
The aquatics Swim Instructor role is a great job for anyone in the community who wants to make a difference in the lives of youth teaching and coaching!
Apply today for the YMCA aquatics Swim Instructor program and ask us about your next adventure and join our team of passionate Community Teachers!
Requirements and Opportunities:
- Minimum age of 16
- Experience swimming – we will train how to teach swim lessons techniques!
- Work with diverse kids and families in a group setting
- 4:00pm – 8:00pm Monday-Thursday, Saturday 8:00am-12:00pm with flexibility when needs change
- YMCA of the North membership
- YMCA Program Discounts for your family
2. Essential Functions:
- Provide swimming instruction to students of various ages and ability levels.
- Maintain constant supervision of students, watch for swimmers needing assistance, and aid swimmers when necessary to ensure positive learning environment.
- Know, understand, and consistently communicate policies and procedures for the pool and whirlpool.
- Understand the YMCA Swim Lessons program, including swimming levels and skills taught for each level. Evaluate students and recommend placement in the correct skill level.
3. Relationships:This position reports to the Sr. Coordinator/Program Manager who reports to the Branch Management. The incumbent interacts regularly with their supervisor, staff, volunteers, and participants.
- Minimum age of 16.
- Completed YMCA Swim Instructor Skills Verification.
- Patience and the ability to communicate with all ages and levels of swimmers.
- Demonstrated ability to swim in shallow and deep water, and tread water (Stage 4 level swimming skill).
- Dedicated to member safety and the mission and philosophy of the YMCA
- YMCA Swim Instructor certification.
5. Work Conditions:
- Must remain in the pool area at all times.
- Ability to support child or adult body weight in the water.
- Must be able to remain alert with no lapses of consciousness in a warm environment with air temperatures of 80 degrees or higher.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize and remedy hazardous/dangerous situations.
- Ability to recognize and react calmly and effectively in hazardous/dangerous situations.
- Perform all physical aspects of the position, including walking, standing, bending, reaching, and lifting up to 50 pounds at a time in a warm pool environment.
- Communicate verbally, including projecting voice across distance in normal and loud situations.
6. Additional Notes:
This job description represents the major functions of the position but is not intended to be all-inclusive. The incumbent is also responsible for taking direction from branch representatives in completing projects or performing duties deemed necessary for the branch or Association’s success.