Full Time Youth Development Director-Aquatics
Develops, organizes, implements, and evaluates YMCA aquatic programs with a focus on quality, safety, youth development and healthy living. This position will be responsible for a year round indoor pool, a seasonal outdoor family fun pool, and a safety around water program. Staff supervision includes 40 – 60 part-time and seasonal staff members and a non-exempt full-time staff person. Annual revenue goal for group and private swim lessons is $200,000.
1. Directs and supervises program activities to meet YMCA objectives. Establishes new program activities and expands program within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans. Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations.
2. Recruits, hires, trains, develops, schedules and directs personnel and volunteers as needed. Reviews and evaluates staff performance. Develops strategies to motivate staff and achieve goals. Ensures records of staff certifications are current and complete.
3. Works with Center Facility Technician to monitor daily pool operations to adhere to all state, local and YMCA health and safety regulations.
4. Conducts and ensures proper maintenance of pools. Secures and schedules pool facilities. Maintains accurate records of pool chemical levels and facility maintenance .
5. Conducts lifeguarding, swim instruction, First Aid and CPR trainings .
6. Creates and schedules swim classes, water fitness classes, and swim team practices and meets.
7. Assists in the marketing and distribution of program information.
8. Develops and monitors program budget to meet fiscal objectives.
9. Assists in YMCA fund raising activities and special events.
10. Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
11. Assists with Program Committee meetings.
12. Compiles program statistics. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in program.
13. Attends Aquatics Cabinets Meetings to stay current regarding pertinent Aquatic information.
14. Maintains and updates all Aquatic Records including in service training records, safety drills, and skills testing.
15. Ensures that all Aquatic Staff are knowledgeable and proficient in implementation of center emergency action plans. Is responsible to see that expectations are met regarding Aquatic facility and program audits .
YMCA Culture & Cause Expectations
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. It’s who are, who we aspire to be and how we show up every day. We are cause-driven. We don’t just show up, we show up with purpose. As a cause driven leader you are expected to be:
Welcoming-Accept neighbors eagerly, warmly, hospitably, and as equal participants.
Nurturing-To care for, support, and help develop through encouragement.
Hopeful-Take an optimistic or positive view of future outcomes.
Determined-To devote full strength and concentrated attention to the cause.
Genuine–To be honest and open in relationships with others.
1. Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent.
2. Three to four years related experience preferred; for example, as an aquatics coordinator or supervisor.
3. Minimum age requirement of 21
4. Typical requirements within 30 days of hire include: completion of: Child Abuse Prevention, CPR; First Aid; AED; Bloodborne Pathogens.
5. Completion of YMCA program-specific and trainer certifications:
6. Lifeguard Certification including CPR-Pro, AED, Oxygen and First Aid, and Swim Instructor
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from an accredited four-year college or university.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Sufficient strength, agility and mobility to perform essential functions of position and to supervise program activities. Ability to lift up to 50 pounds. Possess adequate vision and hearing to safely monitor the pool area. Ability to perform all tasks demanded from employees inclusive of but not limited to sitting and standing for long periods of time, swim 500 meters without stopping, and move lane lines. Possess the swimming ability necessary to obtain certifications, teach, and rescue.
Travel is 50% primarily locally to assigned centers within the Greater Houston area during the business day. Some out-of-the area and overnight travel may be expected.
Flexible with scheduling and available to work operational hours of the YMCA, which may include day, evening, weekends, and/or holidays, based on the center needs.
This job description is not all inclusive. The YMCA of Greater Houston reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. The YMCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environ